Thursday, August 4, 2016

Local Ontario Produce

I mentioned yesterday that I made dog treats while waiting to hear back from the Napanee Emergency Department. They finally did phone to leave us the information we needed to give our family doctor and now we are waiting to hear from the surgeon's office. Again, we will not be holding our breath. 

We are in another heat wave, so it is way too hot to do much by afternoon. So I created another couple of get well cards for the mail, using my Cricut die cutter. I can work under the ceiling fan and drink my iced tea that I make every day, and remain cool enough. Last night we enjoyed a cold potato salad and grilled hamburgers. 

Dog biscuits. We have been out for a few days.

I make a pitcher of tea for the fridge every day. 

More get well cards to send to my mom and step dad. 

This morning I went with my husband to his cardiologist's appointment at Hotel Dieu Hospital. Everything is fine there. In fact, this latest blood test showed his iron was up a little. On the way home, we stopped at Food Basics to buy last week's sale items. However, the new sales went into effect today instead of Friday. I did not get the cheddar cheese or the 4 quarts of peaches I planned on buying, but I will check elsewhere this weekend. I know I can get Maple Lodge cheese (400 gm for $3.88) at Giant Tiger. I did get some incredible "to me" buys though.  
Each bunch of broccoli was 88 cents, so I bought five. The strawberries were $1.88 for a one pound clam shell, so I bought 3 to make more freezer jam.

Each cauliflower was only $1.88 a head and I bought 10 ears of corn for $1.88

This 1/2 loin of pork was $1.49 a pound. I bought the only one left in the display.

I spent $26.85 on everything. So guess what my work will be this afternoon? I will be cutting the pork into chops and/or roasts. I will be washing and chopping veggies for the freezer. Tonight we will eat corn on the cob and chicken legs. Mmmmm finger food. While I was documenting and taking pictures of my shopping, my Sweetie drove over to Shopper's Drug Mart with our gift card to pick up 4 liters of milk, 2 loaves of 12 grain bread  and  3 frozen orange juice. He got the bread for only 11 cents a loaf because of a manager's sale and Seniors Day. He spent a little over $5 from the card. Great deals today. 


2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is incredible! 88 cent broccoli, 11 cents a loaf of bread! and the pork price was excellent as well. Let's not mention the 19 cent ear of corn. They grow sweet corn only 30 minutes away from here and we have a big corn festival every year and the cheapest I've ever seen the corn was 20 cent an ear... but not this year. Well done, my Canadian friends!

    So sorry you're having another heatwave though... and I'm amazed that you'll be doing all of that in the heat. If it was me, I'm park myself in front of the TV with the fan blowing on me and I wouldn't move unless it was to go get another cold drink!

    I'm glad to read that the cardiologist had only good news for your husband. I hope the referral to the orthopedic surgeon gets scheduled soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed. It was hot, but it didn't take too long to do the broccoli and cauliflower. I cooked up all the ears of corn. My Sweetie and I each had two, and I cut off the niblets from the rest of the cobs and froze those last night too. I left the pork loin in the fridge to work on this morning.

    ReplyDelete