Tuesday, January 10, 2017

A Blustery Day

Snowy and blowy today
I made up my mind early today, after checking the weather forecast, not to risk driving into Kingston to see my husband in hospital. Although I know he would love having me there, he also doesn't need the worry of knowing I am on the snowy roadways while there is a weather advisory for our area. I had lots at home to keep me busy, and because I was fully rested after yesterday's nap and sleeping well overnight, I did manage to get some things accomplished that made me feel good.

My unfinished To-Do list from last week:

Clean off dining room table and chairs     In process

Put away tree and indoor Christmas decorations      Done. I still have to put garlands in the basement.

Replace Christmas decorations with my paintings and regular decor      Not done yet. 

Put away Christmas wrapping paper, bags and boxes in the Craft room to recycle next year    Done

Vacuum downstairs     I have done 3 rooms

Wash furniture covers, throws, blankets from the living room      Done

Wash scatter rugs      Done   Washed half of them and lay them over the drying racks

Organized and washed 1/4 of my huge buffet.          Done   This section contained all my covered plastic food containers and all of my picnic and BBQ supplies like serviettes, utensils, plastic and paper cups, plates, serving dishes and the like. I am sure I could lose a whole lot more from this section, but for now I will just better organize what I have.

Make a birthday card for oldest grand daughter        Done and mailed out yesterday.

Purge 5 items      Done     I actually purged 8 items. Hopefully I will be able to catch up to my goal of  25 items a week as I organize the rest of my buffet.
3 packages of baby shower paper plates (8 in each), a water bottle, chocolate mold, footed glass bowl, plastic dessert tray and a snowman decoration.

I  did 3 loads of laundry today in cold water with a vinegar rinse. 

I weighed myself and found I had neither lost nor gained any weight this past week. 

I counted the change in my "found change" container from 2016. There was only $7.75 in pennies, nickels and dimes. I know that I had quarters in there earlier in the year, but I had been dipping into the jar for parking money. So now the jar is empty and ready to receive found money for 2017. 

There is really nothing new to report on my husband's treatment today. There has been discussion of an X-ray, another echo cardiogram, a course of antibiotics, and how to get rid of the excess fluid in his legs which are now swollen up to his hips. As of 6:30 tonight when I last spoke with him, nothing had been started.  


10 comments:

  1. Ooh, it look cold out there! Glad you were able to stay home and keep yourself occupied. You certainly did a lot! Hope they will be able to get your husband's treatment will resume tomorrow, once they know how to go about treating him. In the meantime, he is where care is available if needed and I will continue to keep you both in my prayers. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, I meant to say, looks cold, not look cold!

      Delete
    2. So, just a short update. I left here yesterday at 10:30 and came home after 5 PM. Most of that time was spent with my husband in hospital, and a little shopping. They put him on his diuretic again, started the antibiotic, and also started him on warfarin (blood thinner). He is feeling absolutely miserable today and actually asked me to stay home. He told his doctors this morning that he is in worse shape now than he was when he came through Emergency last Tuesday. He didn't sleep at all overnight, so I agree that it is probably best to leave him alone today. He is phoning me throughout the day to keep me apprised. I am hoping they can come up with a solution.

      Delete
  2. Brrr, that picture makes me really happy I live where I live. I think it was very smart for you to stay home, get some rest and get caught up on some projects since you were stressing about not having completed them. It probably kept you busy and helped keep your mind off your worries for a little bit. Your husband is in capable hands at the hospital, and while it sure would be nice for you to visit with one another, this was a day to just stay put. I do hope the weather improves so you can go visit him. The doctors are being extra careful with his treatment, perhaps, considering all the ramifications that any treatment could have on his kidney or heart, which is why it's taking them so long to get started with all the things you mentioned?

    Hang in there, Susan. I wish I could do more than tell you this. Here are some (((HUGS))) and for Mr. Sweetie too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday after the snow storm was sunny and warm. I spent several hours at the hospital. The "something" they found on his heart valve may be a clot, so they are introducing a blood thinner to his medications. We are not happy about it because the years of prednisone that he has taken has made his skin and blood vessels as thin as wet tissue paper. He bruises just by looking at him. But if this "something" is a clot, they don't want it to get bigger and break off. They want to try it for 3 months. In the meantime, the IV fluid they put on him is not coming off, even with a diuretic. His creatinine is creeping up again. I think they are going to have to dialyse him, but they are dragging their feet. They were pretty quick to do it in October, so I don't know why they are hesitating now. I wish they would give us more information. Obviously they know something we don't. I am trying to hang in there.

      Delete
    2. Oh Susan. I agree with you, it seems to me that they know something that they're not telling you. Can't you call them up and find out what it is or will they not tell you because you're not the patient? Or maybe you'd rather not know. It would be a hard call if it were me but I think I'd want to know what we're up against. Shoot, shoot, shoot. I'm so sorry. Do you think it means he's going to be in the hospital for 3 months? Surely they would need to monitor him closely if he already has bruising problems AND they're putting him on the blood thinner? I don't know anything about any of this, I'm sorry if my questions are idiotic. Don't let me stress you. Sorry. Lots of (((HUGS))).

      Delete
    3. You couldn't possibly stress me out more. I have all those idiotic questions of my own going through my head. I don't think they have all their plans of treatment in place yet. You already said it. They need to be careful of any treatment because of the ramifications of one affecting the other (kidney and heart). I know that several doctors from several disciplines are working together on this, so we will wait and see. In the meantime, my Sweetie will try and rest today. I will read and comment on my favourite blogs and wait for his phone calls.

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't have wanted to drive in that, either. Good call.

    Getting rest after a period of not getting decent sleep is seriously one of the best things. I am glad you had a good night and felt your day was productive.

    I continue to keep you and your husband in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Laura. After all that snowy weather, it has been raining all day. Most of that snow is pretty much gone. My husband isn't feeling up to visitors today, so I am staying home today. I visited several hours yesterday so today, I am catching up on my emails and sending some comment love to my favourite bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (((Hugs))) Susan. I'm glad you get to stay home today, but not the reasons for doing so. I guess all one can do is trust the medical team to know what they are doing and hope and pray for the best.

    ReplyDelete