Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Middle of the first week

So in the hopes of starting the New Year fresh and with enthusiasm, I made a weekly "To-Do" list starting with Monday Jan 2nd.

Write a Daybook post for Monday  Done

Respond to blogs.   Some of them, but I am way behind on others. *Waves to Laura and Alison*

Unplug outdoor Christmas lights.   Done

Make double batch of marinara sauce for the freezer    Done

Post Goals for 2017 on Blog    Done

Wash a super load of dark wash in cold water   Done

Take kitchen compost to the garden compost  Done

Nap     Done  Yes I actually scheduled in a nap into my day. I think that is why I was able to accomplish the few things I wrote down to accomplish.

Then yesterday, Tuesday, I wrote out a longer list. With the goals in the back of my mind, I made my list from my gut much like Nathalie did here. I felt I needed to make a list of jobs that I would like accomplished and needed to be done.

Unload the dishwasher and load up again.    Done, but didn't fill it up until after dinner tonight.

Birthday card to my Oldest grand daughter in Vancouver

Mark my Sweetie's doctors' appointments into my pocket calendar for January/February 2017   Done

Fold yesterday's laundry from the dryer and put away    Done


Throw a load of furniture covers and throw into the washer on cold water      Done and threw them in the dryer last night

Wash kitchen counters, stove top, microwave oven and dog's water and food bowls   Only some of it was done before I was interrupted.

Clean off dining room table and chairs

Take out garbage and recycling

Take down decorations and put away the tree

Gather up Xmas wrapping paper, ribbons and bags and put away for reuse

Vacuum downstairs

wash scatter mats

replace Christmas wall decor with my pictures and regular decor

scoop kitty litter trays      I only got to the downstairs litter box while cleaning the bathroom. 

wash downstairs powder room   I only washed the toilet and sink. I did not get to clean the floor.

Purge at least 5 items   

I made pea soup with ham in the crock pot for dinner tonight.

So you may be wondering right now, what happened to my resolve? my enthusiasm? Well, I keep mentioning that life gets in the way, and here was another example. My Sweetie had his radiation appointment early yesterday morning at 8:30. We left our house before 7:30 to get there in plenty of time. Radiation went well, but my Sweetie did not feel particularly well. He had been having trouble off and on with voiding his bladder and had been attributing the problem to the prostate, as that is one of the symptoms. But on top of that, he was worried about the transplanted kidney. So I suggested we go upstairs to the Transplant Clinic to have blood drawn. There were no transplant clinics going on this week and so no phlebotomy technician was available, but we got a requisition to have it done in the cancer ward. We got home and I did manage to get a few things knocked off my list when the phone rang an hour after we got home. My husband's creatinine levels were indeed up and they wanted us back in the Emergency ward. His kidney was failing. They eventually admitted him, but I didn't get home until after 8:30 last night. 

My "To-Do" list today remains exactly the same. I did nothing on the list but I napped  when I wasn't on the phone. I did not go in today. We had some white-out conditions on the road. The hospital was running many tests and they were now responsible to get him to his radiation appointment. I just rested and worried. But I am happier to report that they now have a reason why the kidney was failing and things have turned around. They suspect that one of his anti-rejection drugs had been building up to dangerous levels in his body, forcing the creatinine levels up. It is because my husband had not been eating and drinking enough. He has had no appetite at all, and the more I tried to get him to eat something, he was stubbornly fighting back. 

So the good news is that he could be home very soon. I will feel better when he's better, and I will eventually get back to working on my list of "To-Do"s. 

Money spent so far this week: Monday was a no-spend day. Yesterday, we put $25 worth of gas in the tank on the way home from radiation and spent only $3 on parking all day. I was fortunate to have parked in the underground Cancer parking when I went back to the Emergency ward and I think the parking attendants are very forgiving when a patient with a pink cancer tag has gone over the allotted time. I paid for two hours, but went over 8 hours. I should have got a ticket, but I was lucky. I would have paid the ticket because I did not want to leave my husband's side. And then today was also a no-spend day. Yippee.


6 comments:

  1. Oh Susan, I'm sorry to hear Mr. Sweetie is back in the hospital! I hope the accumulation of that drug in his system won't lead to permanent damage. I don't know if I'm reading you well but you do sound optimistic so that's good to hear.

    I can't believe all the things that you did AND you also took a nap! Well done. It was nice of the parking attendant not to charge you the extra fee for the parking. I don't even understand why patients are being charged. I could see the visitors, but patients? Aren't you already giving enough money to the hospital? Everyone is so greedy. I'm sure it's the same thing over here. Come to think of it, my dad had to pay to park at the hospital when my stepmom was there too, in France. I don't know, it just sounds so heartless.

    Anyhoo. I hope that the white-out conditions don't last! Be safe if you do any driving... and don't slip on the ice either!

    How is your cold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cold is still hanging on, but I am staying home today and napping again. I was feeling more optimistic yesterday. You read me correctly, but not so much today. They are going to do a biopsy of his kidney today. That is why I have opted to stay home again, and wait for the results.

      Delete
  2. Susan, I am sorry to hear your husband had to be hospitalized again. But glad that they were able to treat him and he might be home again, soon. Glad, too, that you didn't get a ticket for going over your parking time. Here, unless you park at metered parking on the street, the parking lots and garages charge in increments for the first hour and then, it's a flat rate whether you are parked for 1 hr. and 01 minutes or 8 hrs. You pay the fee when you leave.

    Good that you took a nap. It is important for you to rest while all these things are happening. The cleaning goals can wait. You've other things to occupy your time and energy. (((HUGS))) Keeping you both in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, his creatinine levels are on the rise again....not good. He is feeling much worse and now sick to his stomach. They are doing a biopsy sometime this afternoon which should tell them what is going on with the kidney. I don't think he will have his radiation today which is supposed to be at 4:30 this afternoon. I am staying home to wait for results. I will keep everyone updated as I get new information.

      Delete
    2. (((HUGS))) Susan, and prayers. Hope all will be well. May your husband be in good hands, may his doctors be able to diagnose and treat whatever is causing him to be ill, may he be healed and well, again.

      Delete
    3. Ah, shoot Susan, I'm sorry to hear that. At least he's at the hospital where they can keep a good eye on him. I hope he pulls through. Lots of (((HUGS))).

      Delete