Thursday, January 12, 2017

Wild and Wacky Weather

You might remember that Tuesday was a blustery day. There was lots of blowing snow which was followed by freezing rain which was followed by rain. On Tuesday night, I was outside in the freezing rain, shoveling slush out of my driveway. There was a massive amount of it and I was afraid that if it froze over, I would be trapped in the house until Spring. *laugh*  But yesterday morning I realized that I really didn't have too much to worry about;  because during the night, when the freezing rain was replaced by rain and the temperature warmed up, most of that snow was pretty much gone. I left the house at 10:30 AM to run some errands on my way to the hsopital. First I went to the Post Office. A package that I had put a trace on from Amazon, had finally arrive and was waiting for me. Yay! It was a package of Tim Holtz mini ink pads that I ordered before Christmas. The first package had arrived two weeks ago, but the second one that was ordered the same day, was still in transit.

I next went to a Service Station and put $50 gas in the van. I went to No Frills to pick up a few items that I was running low on, but decided in the end that I should pick up the specials on sale because the new sales flyer starts today. I got to the hospital room just before noon. I was there when the doctors from Internal medicine discussed with us how they wanted to put my husband on an antibiotic for his infection, Warfarin to thin the blood, and a diuretic to lose the fluid. I sincerely believe the infection is the same one that put him in hospital in October, that they never got rid of. So I am glad they are dealing with that. The problem with the diuretic is that the body is still not flushing out the fluid because the kidney is stopped. Increasing the diuretic is not going to force out the fluid if the body has no way to release it. Why not dialyse him? The creatinine levels are apparently on their way up again. As far as putting him on blood thinners, neither my husband nor I are keen on that for ALL kinds of reasons, but they think he has a blood clot. So we may be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Anyways, I don't want to dwell on this now. My Sweetie had a very rough night and he actually asked that I not come in today. I am fine with that, as he needs his rest now. Today is very dark and has been raining all day after yesterday being so sunny and warm. I didn't get home until after 5 o'clock last night.  A friend of ours came in to see us at the hospital and I drove her home afterwards.

Dairy cost $9.91
 Becel margarine was on sale for $1.88 for a one pound tub; but better than that, they had Vegan brand which isn't always easy to find. Four liters of 2% was $4.27, normal price, but I was completely out.
Pantry items cost $25.79
 Kraft peanut butter was only $2.88 for a 1 Kg jar, so I jumped all over that price and stockpiled six jars. Red Rose tea was on sale for $5.97 for 216 tea bags (I was totally out) and the 2 tins of sliced mushrooms were a total impulse buy.
Proteins cost $15.22
 I needed eggs at $1.97 /doz. and I bought 2 pkgs of Schneiders Oktoberfest sausage and 4 pkgs of steakettes because they were on for only $1.88 each. I cooked up 1 package of 4 steakettes last night. That made 2 hamburgers for last night's dinner and two for tonight.
Breads cost $1.88 because they were reduced by 50% for quick sale.
I spent $52.80 on food.  I spent another $31.30 on non-food items.
Dog food, washing soda, TP, and Colgate (88 cents). Missing from the photo is a jug of winter windshield washer fluid which I left in the van. I finally found the washing soda I have been looking for to make my homemade cleaners.
My total household expenditures this month so far is $88.28 with taxes. I was kind of surprised how little of that was actually food, but I will continue to break down these expenses for several months.



7 comments:

  1. I hope that they are able to clear up the infection and that your husband was able to rest today. I'm glad that the weather warmed up enough to make traveling easier.

    Good job on the groceries -- the peanut butter is a great deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You found your washing soda!

    You stocked up on loads of PB, which is what I need to do next time Aldi had the large jars of crunchy PB. I used to buy them 4 or 5 at a time but I'll be doubling that since Greg is eating a lot of PB lately and they don't always carry it.

    Great find on your Becel margarine! And the 50% off bread! You were on a roll! (get it? sorry, my daughter, the queen of bad puns, is rubbing off on me)

    I'm not ignoring Sweetie, we already discussed the situation. I hope he has a good night tonight, poor man.

    With the kind of weather you've had in the past day or so, who knows what you will have to deal with tomorrow? Rain is better than snow in my book, though. You don't have to shovel it out of your driveway.

    I'm glad you got your package. It's puzzling as to why it took so long to get to you... maybe they had it travel around the world?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite a change in the weather! I will keep praying that all will be well with your husband. This must be such an emotional roller coaster for you!

    You got some good deals and I am glad you found your washing soda, finally. It's good to keep track of what you are spending and on what. It'll help you with future budget making.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, I hope everything is OK with you and Sweetie. Did you ever get over your cold? Is the blood thinner working on the clot? Thinking about you, guys. Lots of (((HUGS))).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm okay. I just got back from seeing my Sweetie today. I am going to lie down and nap now. When I get up I will write a post. They have moved him to a private room. They are going to give him huge doses of diuretics to try and stimulate the kidney into responding. If they don't work, they will dialyse him. They have segregated him just in case he has been infected with a hospital borne illness. He is so very weak and tired, but I felt better about leaving him today than I did yesterday.

      I did not comment on anyone's blog yesterday because my keyboard stopped working and I had no time to deal with it. After taking it apart and cleaning it, then rebooting it, I have a functioning keyboard. I will respond later after a good sleep.

      Delete
    2. OK, get some rest, thanks for the quick update. I hope he's OK. I'm glad your keyboard started working again. ((HUGS))

      Delete
  5. Glad to see your update, Susan. I had been wondering how things were going. I'm glad to hear that they are monitoring your husband closely and if the diuretics don't work, they will do the dialysis. Take care of yourself, too, and take as many naps as you need to. The housework, etc., will wait. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete