Thursday, January 5, 2017

Thursday update


Some routines are ingrained in us through necessity. Because we own a dog, I have to get up with him in the morning. That is why I get dressed first thing. It doesn't matter how tired or how sick one is, you have to take the dog outside. I bring him in and make sure his food and water bowls are filled, and while he eats, I put on the electric kettle and make myself a cup of coffee. The dog is finished now and needs to go outside again for his first constitutional of the day. That of course deserves a doggie biscuit when we come back inside. I sit at the computer to drink my cup of coffee and check through my emails to see if there is anything pressing that needs my attention, like personal emails. If not, then I go to my favourite blogs and get caught up on those. This morning before I opened my email list, I phoned my Sweetie to wish him good morning. He didn't sound as good as he did last night. They were taking several blood samples and apparently his creatinine levels were on the rise again. I resolved to get a few things done at home and then I would drive in to stay with him this afternoon.

To-Do list:

Feed and water the livestock ( one dog and two cats)    Done

Unload the dishwasher. I turned on the dishwasher before going to bed last night.    Done

At least two loads of laundry      Done     I stripped my bed and washed all the sheets, pillow cases, and the quilted mattress protector and washed in hot water and 1/4 cup bleach. I also did a load of whites in hot  water and a little bleach. I used vinegar in both rinses and I used the dryer after 11 AM  to dry both loads

Scoop both litter boxes     Done     I do the downstairs box while my son does the upstairs, but they haven't been home since New Year's Eve Saturday. Now I know why the cats have been downstairs a whole lot more since the weekend. How disgusting.

Fold yesterday's dryer load of throws and put the fleece blanket cover back on the couch.     Done

Bring down all the trash containers from different rooms in the house and combine with kitchen garbage to take outside to the outdoor trash bin.     Done   but not in time for today's collection.

Sort through all the kitchen recycling and take outside to the outdoor Recycle Bins     Done    but not in time for today's collection.

Nap     Done      I did not go in to see my Sweetie again 2 days in a row.

Make a birthday card for my oldest grand daughter

Take down the decorations from the tree and put it away

Put away garlands, lights and other Christmas decorations.

Swap out Christmas decor for year round paintings and decor

Clean off dining room table and chairs

Vacuum downstairs

wash scatter mats

purge 5 more items     I have not purged ANY items yet, but I will get rid of 25 this week.

While eating lunch and before lying down for a nap, I called my Sweetie again. He told me they were going to take him down for a biopsy of his kidney. There would be no sense going down if he wasn't there in the room. He would not be going for his Radiation therapy today, and he would call me when it was all over. He called shortly after 3:30 and woke me up. He doesn't have results yet and he sounded very tired. He was going to sleep. Hopefully, we will get some kind of news tonight. I have since fed the dog again and taken him out for his second constitutional. Now I will heat up a bowl of yesterday's pea soup and make myself a fried egg sandwich for supper, watch the news and wait for a phone call.  While watching television, I may or may not take the decorations off the tree. While doing the few things I managed this morning, I did work up a sweat. I still have a bit of cough and my head sounds full when I speak to people on the phone. I know I am getting better, but it has been very slow. I am drinking lots and getting a lot of sleep.

7 comments:

  1. I get up every morning to feed the cats. I am trying to turn that into getting up and getting dressed, but it's been hard to make that change. I think because I don't have to take the cats outside. At any rate, just the routine of getting up at six is helpful for providing a bit of structure to my day. Even if very little else gets done, I at least did that.

    Anyway. Excuse my ramblings. I'm sorry to hear that your husband had to go back for a biopsy and that you weren't able to see him today. I hope you are able to see him tomorrow. And I hope that you feel better (all the way) soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. I talked to my husband last night and again this morning. There are still no results of the biopsy, or a plan of treatment yet.

      Yes, first it was kids, then my job, and now in retirement, it is the animals. There is always going to be something to demand my attention. Otherwise, I think I could happily stay in bed all day. Ha. Especially in the winter.

      Delete
  2. My routine has been to stay in my PJs as long as I could but that obviously didn't work for me (well it worked for ME but not for what I was supposed to be doing!) so now I shower at night right before going to bed and get dressed as soon as I wake up. I say "now" but I just started that... this morning, hahaha. That's going to be my new routine AND also doing the dishes every night which I'm proud to report I have done every night for the whole week and even before that! That's Susan's good influence right there.

    It sounds like your routine works great for you, Susan. I'm happy, though, that I don't need to let the cats out. I don't mind scooping out the litter boxes. It's like digging for treasure!

    On a more serious note, I'm glad to see you're napping and think you're getting slowly better, and I hope that you got encouraging news from Your Sweetie and/or his medical team tonight. Take care. I'm sending him warm hugs from Florida, with your permission. And some to you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I scooped up a lot of treasure yesterday from the upstairs litter box. Wowee! I was so glad that my sense of smell is completely gone with my head still being so congested.

      We will take all those warm hugs thank you very much. Still haven't got any news from the Nephrologists, but my Sweetie didn't sound too bad this morning. He is tired of course because he didn't sleep well last night. They moved him from the sun room into a proper patient's room last night. That may be a sign that he is going to be staying for a while. Had I mentioned that they put him there because there were not enough hospital rooms??

      Delete
    2. Hmm no, you didn't mention that. Well it's good to hear he didn't sound too bad. I hope you get to talk to the nephrologist today. Sounds like the hospital is busy! I don't blame you for staying home, especially in the weather conditions at the moment and if you're not feeling too good and need to rest yourself, there's not much of a point.

      Delete
  3. Susan, I hope you have received some good news about your husband's health. Just take it one day at a time, I guess. Glad you have routines to keep you grounded during this rather stressful time and you are managing to get a nap. Pleas take care of yourself, too, and hope you feel better, soon. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually been most grateful for the fact that I didn't have to go into hospital for the past couple of days. I was feeling a little guilty for leaving my poor Sweetie alone in hospital without any visits from me. It felt so self-indulgent. But you are absolutely right that my routines at home have given me structure and normalcy. I have also been given a chance to look after the pets and myself. The pets have been stressed out by the fact that no one has been around the house very much lately. My son and his GF are now living in their new apartment in town (although most everything they own is still here) and my Sweetie and I have been gone for hours at a time every day. I have been able to sleep every afternoon and I feel I am getting stronger. We are still standing by waiting for the results of the biopsy.

      Delete