Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Still here

It is getting harder and harder to write these updates, because at times it feels like nobody has any idea of what they are going to do. I am watching my husband get worse and worse, and some days have gone by with nothing being done at all. I will write this update in point form.
  • On Monday night, my Sweetie was moved out of the private room and back into a semi-private. The test results for a hospital borne illness came back negative. 
  • On Tuesday morning I called patient locating to find out which room he was moved into. His phone was disconnected so there was no way to talk to him. I had that problem sorted out by calling the nurses' station to inform them.
  • I drove to the hospital early this afternoon after the freezing drizzle stopped. I asked at the nurses' station if they would send the doctor to the hospital room to speak to me. The nurse came in to talk with me first. She said that my Sweetie was having a very bad day. He was taking pain medication every four hours and he wasn't eating or drinking . Of course, that wasn't new. He hasn't been eating or drinking for two weeks now. She also said that my husband had been given too much Lasix. They could no longer get a working IV  in his arm because his veins were collapsing because there wasn't enough fluid in his veins. It is all interstitial.
  • A nephrologist came in to talk with us and announced that he was going to put more IV fluid into him because of the lack of fluid in his veins, and he was going to put a hold on the Lasix. Their plan consisted of putting in even more fluid and then do another biopsy of the kidney this Friday. My husband and I "hit the roof" so to speak. He already has 22 extra pounds in his legs that was put in by IV the first week. That doctor left to confer with the head of Nephrology.
  • The nurse came in to try putting in another IV line in my husband's arm to start up the Lasix treatment that he had not yet received today. This order had just been given to her by Internal Medicine. I refused the treatment until both parties (Internal Medicine and Nephrology) got together to discuss a new treatment plan. 
  • Within 5 minutes, we had three doctors in the room. I explained that within the first half hour of my arriving to see my husband, he had been prescribed two diametrically opposed courses of treatment. We needed to resolve the issue of not being able to insert an IV port, so it was decided to send him to Radiology to have a PIC line put in his arm so nurses could take blood and give medicine. We also suggested that a dialysis line be put in through the neck like they did back in October to give him dialysis if it was finally decided that that was the only course of action. But Nephrology wouldn't go for that. They want to save the kidney, but my husband has been through enough. 
  • I spoke with my Sweetie Pie an hour ago. He said they put the PIC line in his arm after 5 o'clock tonight; and while he was there, the radiologist told him that Nephrology had finally given the go-ahead for the line to be put in his neck tomorrow. I am guessing that dialysis is not completely out of the question. 
  • I will end this post with a valentine that I finished this morning. 
 

7 comments:

  1. Oh Susan. It sounds like, much like here, and much like in France, patients really need their families to be their advocates because the freaking doctors don't seem to either have a clue or understand that they indeed need to work as a TEAM to determine the course of treatment. To be ordered 2 diametrically opposed courses of treatment in the 2 hours that you were there (what if you hadn't?!), I can only see this as a complete failure of the whole system. You have enough on your plate but I would bring that up to the CEO/head of the hospital. This is inexcusable. It's a human life they're dealing with!

    I wonder why Nephrology was so reluctant to use dialysis? Surely that would be better for the kidney than to have all those toxic drugs build up in his system if he's not able to evacuate the liquids properly? You don't need to try to answer any of this, I'm just thinking outloud.

    I'm so so sorry you're all going through this. I wish I could do more than send you hugs but that's all I got. Thanks for keeping us posted. I hope he gets some relief from the PIC line and hopefully dialysis tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't go in yesterday. First of all, they moved my husband again. His new room mate had an infection, so they moved my husband out of his room. Then they wheeled him off to Radiology to have another ultrasound done of the kidney. He was gone for an hour and a half, and when he got back, he was extremely sore "in his gut". Then they had him hooked up to an IV with some medicine to help "thicken up his blood" after thinning it too much with the Warfarin. They wanted it thickened so they could do another kidney biopsy. In the end, they didn't do the biospy, but he was taken down to Radiology to have the CVC put in his neck for dialysis. All the while, they were having to give him pain medication every four hours. He was extremely tired and groggy, and by now it was quite late in the day, so there was no sense going in to see him. Around suppertime, they decided to send him to Dialysis. They did not remove any fluid. They just cleaned his blood. He was back in his room at 10 PM. He had a very tiring day.

      Delete
    2. It sounds like it was a challenging day for him again, poor guy. At least they were able to clean his blood, which has got to be good. I hope today is a better day for you both.

      Delete
  2. I'm so very sorry that this is happening to your Sweetie! It's good that you are on top of things because, obviously, the doctors all need to get together to talk about his case! Hang in there.... <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying TrayceeBee. This is the fourth hospital room he has been moved to in these 2 1/2 weeks. I wonder if they are trying to hide him from me?? *laugh*

      Delete
  3. Oh, Susan, I am so sorry to hear about all what you and your husband are going through. You'd think the doctors would work as a team, but that's rarely the case, is it? I am so glad that you are there to be an advocate for your husband. Hope all will be well now that they are putting in the various IV and treatment lines. I'm sure all this is taking a toll on both you and your husband. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless, I did take the day off yesterday. It was unintended, but I distracted myself with making more valentines for the kiddos. I am going in this morning. They are still talking about doing a kidney biopsy today, but that shouldn't take long, and I would like to know the results first hand from the doctor.

      Delete