Sunday, January 15, 2017

Beautiful sunny weekend

It is 3 o'clock on a sunny Sunday afternoon. I just got back from spending time with my Sweetie in the hospital. They moved him yesterday afternoon into a large private room with a pent house view of the lake.

They did that as a precaution to keep him in isolation on the off-chance that he has picked up a "hospital borne illness". They ran 140 mg of Lasix into him yesterday by IV, in hopes of stimulating the kidney. Up until yesterday, they were giving him 40 mg of the diuretic. It managed to produce about 1/2 a liter of urine overnight which sounds promising. Since entering the hospital two weeks ago this coming Tuesday, they have given him 10 kg or 22 pounds of fluid (maybe more because he has not been eating). His creatinine, potassium and urea numbers are creeping back up. His nurse told us today that she overheard the doctors in conversation with the Transplant Team in Toronto. I am sure that is only to get some further ideas to try before they give him dialysis. Dialysis sounds like a last resort. They don't think the kidney would survive another one. They think it would totally fail if they did that, so they are desperate to try all other avenues first. We are keeping our fingers crossed. When I left this afternoon, they were giving him another IV. If it produces results, they will keep pushing on that. He was able to eat 4 bites of an egg salad sandwich and a quarter cup of ice-cream at lunch, and keep it down.

I have been unable to respond to emails or make comments on blogs for two days. My keyboard quit on me quite suddenly, and I had no time to deal with it, So on Friday night after supper and before I went to bed, I cleaned the keyboard. I had toothpicks, Q-tips, my vacuum cleaner and rubbing alcohol and proceeded to take off the keys to get underneath. There was so much cat hair, I don't know how I was able to press down on the keys. But I cleaned it up, rebooted the computer, and voila. My keyboard is functioning again, but I have been dragging again with fatigue, so I still haven't responded on-line. Instead I have been talking on the phone an awful lot. Slowly, but surely, I should get back to everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update, Susan. Don't worry about responding to blog comments; I'm sure none of us are expecting you to do that. Just a short update as and when you can is more than enough. Please know that you and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers. Hope all will be well. Take care of yourself, too. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan! Look at you fixing your keyboard on your own like a pro! I read your post to Greg (we're keeping track of your Sweetie together) and I said "I bought a new laptop when my laptop keyboard starting getting wonky!". Very frugal of you, he said. Not me, YOU.

    I hear encouraging news about your husband, which is good to hear and of course we're all hoping the kidney will hold too and that he doesn't have a "hospital borne illness". The poor guy probably isn't enjoying the large private room with a lovely view of the lake too much. Two weeks already?! It must seem like an eternity to you.

    Hang in there, get plenty of rest, don't worry about commenting on our blogs. We miss you but we know your Sweetie's and your health are far more important. Lots of (((hugs))).

    ReplyDelete