Sunday, January 22, 2017

The Week-end

I did go in Friday, but the results of the kidney biopsy will not be known until Monday. In the meantime, they had moved him again. This has been the 6th move since he was admitted through Emergency almost 3 weeks ago. Then on Saturday morning, my daughter arrived here from Bradford. Her husband took the kids to Collingwood for a skiing weekend, so she was on her own. We spent most of the day visiting at the hospital. Though my Sweetie was genuinely pleased and surprised by our daughter's visit, he kept dozing off. Part of that I'm sure was the result of the pain killers he has been on. We were both there in the hospital room when the Internal Medicine doctor came around, and then the Nephrologist on call. They explained to us the need to keep sending my husband for dialysis every other day to clean the toxins from his blood (but not removing any fluids). They hope by lowering the levels of uremia, his nausea will disappear and his appetite will return. He is also going to be moving his feet, ankles and legs while in bed to move the leg muscles and move the fluid gradually from the tissues, into the bloodstream and eventually into the kidney. As it is, he cannot get out of bed without assistance. So I spent two days massaging his feet and lower legs, and bent his knees to get the legs moving. Eventually his leg muscles will regain memory and begin to work on their own. The doctors explained that even the action of trying to move his legs is enough to move fluid. This is giving us new hope. We will talk to physio early this week to see what pieces of equipment we will need to get my husband home. Meanwhile, the results of the biopsy should be ready tomorrow, which will help them determine how to next proceed.

A good friend had me stop off at her place yesterday on the way home from hospital so she could give me a chicken dinner....not just chicken dinner with gravy, but all the fixin's as well. There is enough for a few days of meals. So we had a lovely supper when we got home. My daughter stayed overnight, came with me to hospital again today, then left for home mid afternoon. It was so lovely to have her home with me, even if just for a short visit. 

5 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about you both and wondering how you were doing. I'm so happy for you that there seem to be progress in his treatment AND that your daughter came to spend the weekend with you and her dad. Mr Sweetie was probably also exhausted by the lack of sleep you had reported a few days earlier, all the medications, etc.

    How lovely of your friend to have cooked several dinners for you. I hope that the leg massages and exercises will continue to be effective, along with the dialysis. Hoping with good biopsy results as well.

    Lots of hugs to both, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am riding the roller coaster again today. It seems that after every good day, there are new disappointments. I won't go into anything tonight, but I am looking forward to meeting and talking to the new Internal Medicine doctor that has taken on this case. We haven't heard yet what the biopsy results were.

      Delete
    2. Thinking about you guys. I don't know what else to say that's not terribly cliché. Wishing the best for tomorrow and that you get those biopsy results before long.

      Delete
  2. So glad that your daughter was able to visit you and her dad over the weekend. It sounds like the hospital is keeping an eye on things and doing what is needed. I hope things continue to go well and your husband continues to respond well to treatment and will improve. So glad that your friend gave you dinner and enough for a few additional meals. You have good friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wonderful friends. I am so very lucky. It was wonderful to have my daughter here with us for the weekend.

      Delete