Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Plumber's Assistant

While waiting for my BIL to arrive this morning, I started on the second bag of rutabaga. They were small and unwaxed, so they needed to be processed before they went bad on me. Large rutabaga are very difficult for me to cut into, so I love this size. I peeled, diced, boiled and mashed in my larger pot before transferring them to the freezer in smaller portion sizes.
Five pounds of rutabaga.


I got a call from my sister during this time to inform me that her husband wouldn't be here for another hour because he was taking Rocky into the pet groomer. My first reaction was to leave for the post office to pick up a package that I missed delivery on while I was staying at my dad's house yesterday. I have no idea what the package might be and I am very curious, but then I remembered that Wednesday morning is the time I have put aside to talk with an old friend from Kingston. She would be calling any moment now, so I decided to bake another loaf of almond bread and fried up a package of bacon while I waited. As it turned out, she did not phone until this afternoon.

 When my BIL  arrived I was prepared to help him out the best I could as his unpaid help, ha,ha. I felt like I was in surgery as he called out for tools and supplies and "more light".  I even provided some muscle power as we pulled the shower out of the closet. It did not break and the good news is that we can relocate this shower downstairs to be used along with my second bathroom. Great news. He soldered caps on the hot and cold water pipes inside the wall, cut the drain out and capped the air vent.
 It doesn't look like a closet yet. I will need some drywall around the base of the walls and the cutout where the pipes were capped. I have to remove some latex caulking and sand the walls to remove the glue. There is a hole in the floor that will have to be covered with more laminate flooring, but it is a nice deep closet like all the other closets in the house.
Downstairs I will need to remove some shelving that presently holds all of my coloured card stock, both 12x12 inch and 11x8 1/2 inch, because that is the perfect wall to build the new shower stall into.

After my BIL left for the day, I talked with my friend from Kingston, fried some ground beef and made a cream cheese sauce to make my dinner tonight. My sister came over for a cup of tea and is now downstairs picking up some more supplies to make cards at her house this evening. I will join her now to start removing all of that card stock in order to remove the shelving for next steps.

The mysterious package will have to wait another day before I can pick it up. Have a good evening.

2 comments:

  1. That's great that your brother-in-law was able to remove the shower unit (with your able help, of course!) without any damage to either the shower or the closet walls! You'll have that space turned back into a closet very soon, I'm sure. Will your BIL help you with that, too, or will you be doing it all by yourself?

    Ooh, a mystery package! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will probably repair the closet myself. It isn't difficult, and it isn't a big priority yet. I will wait to use pieces of leftover drywall from the construction of the shower downstairs. In the meantime, I can remove the caulking and sand down the wall surfaces in preparation for painting. Last night I was able to move the paper and the shelving from the downstairs wall.

    ReplyDelete