Monday, September 19, 2016

Daybook: Monday Sept. 19/18


My Blackberry is not working very well. Firstly, I need a new charger for it;  and secondly, this morning the dog walked into the cord while I was trying to charge it and slammed it down from the desk onto the tile floor. The glass has now shattered, so I don't know if it is working at all. My photo today will be one I took this summer of Babcock Mill. This is our claim to fame in Odessa. The water wheel is no longer attached to the mill to prevent it from being vandalized I guess. My daughter chose this location to have her wedding photos taken. It is still very picturesque.


Outside my window.....the sun is trying to come out. It rained a bit overnight and the clouds are still in the area. We will be back into warm sunny days all this week. My front lawn needs to be mowed again.

I am thinking.....of my Sweetie's colonoscopy today in Napanee, and not much else.

I thankful for......everyone's concern and prayers for my husband.

From the kitchen.....I have had my two cups of coffee and porridge, but I did not empty the dishwasher or anything else for that matter. On the weekend I baked peanut butter cookies, pumpkin and raisin muffins and hamburger buns. I froze a medium size freezer bag of tomatoes and half a bag of burgundy beans over the weekend. My garden is definitely winding done now.

I am wearing.....denim capris with the rolled up cuffs and a denim coloured tank top.

I am creating......nothing yet.

I am going.....to Napanee Hospital for 11:30 this morning.

I am hoping.....everything goes as planned, despite the fact that he still has a nasty cough.

I am hearing.....only one cricket this morning. Where have they all gone?

Around the house.....things are piled all over. There is a pickup tomorrow morning for Value Village by the good people from Cerebral Palsy.  Maybe I can get rid of all my donation boxes from the house to clear up some more room. I did not wash any more windows, nor have I worked on my Craft Room. I didn't feel like doing anything over the weekend, but baking.

One of my favourite things.....is making cards. I need to get back to my Crafting room, pronto.

A few plans for the rest of the week..... does not include any scheduled doctor's appointments, unless I can get in to see my Family Physician about getting a Shingles vaccine. Apparently, four days ago the Ontario government announced that anyone aged 65-70 years of age can get a free vaccine between now and December. I am jumping all over that. It is a savings of almost $200 and weeks or months of excruciating pain and illness that I would not wish on anyone.

Also this coming Saturday, we will be going to Smith Falls to see my brother and SIL, as well as my dad and "Dee", who are coming down from Northern Ontario to celebrate my brother's 65th birthday.

Other than that, I will be working on my September goals.

Here is a picture I am sharing.....of Mill Creek and Babcock Mill.



8 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your Blackberry! Hope it can be repaired.

    Hope everything went well with your husband's appointment and the procedure didn't have to be rescheduled. Keeping you both in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colonoscopy went as scheduled. The surgeon removed 6 polyps and remarked that they did not look cancerous. They will be examined in the lab of course. Thank you for your prayers.

      Delete
  2. The mill is very beautiful! I'm glad you're sharing these photos although I am sorry that your Blackberry is out of sorts.

    I hope everything went well with your husband's appointment today. I'm so glad you are able to get the shingles vaccination. My grandfather had those and was in so much pain. He also had recurrences, which I hadn't realized was a possibility until it happened. Being able to avoid that is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, your phone! It cost me about $110 to get my iphone's screen replaced when I dropped it by accident. Is there a repair place nearby that can give you an estimate?

    I'm glad your hubby could have the colonoscopy today, as I replied to your comment on my post.

    Did you have the shingles yourself? I heard that it is excruciating. I did have chicken pox when I was little so I guess I'm at risk of getting shingles too. Great. It's wonderful if you can get the vaccine for free. I have to say that I'm surprised that it wouldn't be. Everyone here thinks that Canadians get all their medical care for free...

    Love the pictures of the mill and the lovely bridge! I just really love old buildings and imagining life around them back when they were still serving their original purpose.

    Happy early birthday to your brother. So he would be your little brother? Is he the one who is a very good cook? You will have a grand time at the celebration and you get to see your dad and stepmom. Perfect!

    Any news from your mom's living arrangements? Is she still at your sister's?

    Take care, Susan and Sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mean "and Susan's Sweetie!" I'm not putting the moves on your husband, I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I am thrilled to be able to get the vaccine for no money out of pocket. I was going to bite the bullet, but I heard last winter that there was a possibility that the shots would be provided free to seniors. So happy it has come to be. I have known so many people who have suffered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The above comment was written in reply to Laura's comment, but I have noticed that Nathalie's comment came in at the same time.

    So Nathalie, our medical care is free; but, certain NEW procedures have to be approved by the provincial health system before being accepted. Vaccinations and boosters are generally paid for if they are considered necessary. For instance, when I went to Egypt this past winter, I needed to have the Twinrix shot against Hepatitis A and B, as well as the Typhoid shot. They were once covered by our provincial plan, but no longer (to save the health plan money of course) Let's face it. Those shots are not necessary for Canadian residents. They are only for people travelling to other countries. And presumably, if you can afford to travel, you can afford to pay for your own vaccines. Makes sense. But we have insurance plans that will reimburse us for those costs.
    Well our Ontario government has stated that vaccine effectiveness is higher among seniors between 65 and 70 years old, and therefore will pay the cost for those individuals.

    All my siblings are younger than me. I am the first born. I have 3 brothers and 1 sister. My brother from Smith Falls is the second in line and closest to me. He is the wonderful cook, so he will be preparing for us his own birthday dinner. Ha. Aren't we the lucky ones?

    You reminded me that my mom was supposed to move into her long-term care home yesterday....same day as my husband's procedure. After she broke her leg at my sister's house, she went to the Guelph hospital. From there, she went to a convalescent home in Kitchener to get her rehabilitation. Her room was supposed to be ready on September 19th. I really should email my sister today and find out. I don't know if my step dad is still in hospital or if he has been moved yet to the long term care facility. Thank you for jogging my memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the oldest too. I have 2 brothers and 1 sister.

      I hope your mom is OK and her living situation has been resolved, as well as your stepdad's.

      Delete