Sunday, September 4, 2016

Labour Day Weekend

My Sweetie and I spent a couple of hours on Friday morning, loading up the trailer with yard junk. There was some walking, bending down and twisting. Touch wood....there has been no further incident with his left side. Was it a pinched nerve???  We are a little more assured that until we find the cause, it may likely never happen again. We have an appointment tomorrow with the orthopedic surgeon about his shoulder. 

I have not done any work in my Craft Room now for a whole week. I have been otherwise engaged. I have put it on my September goals list along with a couple of other projects that I want to accomplish. 

Spending money.....On Thursday, I paid $13.75 for parking fees at the Hospital and $10.95 for two sandwiches and two half pints of milk while we were in Emerg. for over 5 hours. I paid the Transfer Station $31.73  on Saturday morning to get rid of our very heavy load. Yesterday was also the day that I agreed to go with my friends to the Tea Room in Deseronto. My lunch cost  $21 with tip, and while wondering through the Antique Store afterwards, I found another tiny set of  salt and pepper shakers for $8.45 with tax. (A weakness of mine is collecting salt and pepper shakers, and I collect owls). I know. I'm bad. Friday and today (Sunday) were no spend days. 

Maintenance and preparedness.....I cooked two cups of dried kidney beans and two cups of navy beans in the crock pot. I rinsed and froze them in smaller containers to use in future recipes. I am drying cayenne peppers (24 so far) on the window sill to grind into pepper flakes for the spice shelf. I have baked another batch of dog biscuits. 

The apple trees are down. My husband's friend who cut them down will take the firewood home with him. The branches will go into the now emptied trailer to take to the composting place in Kingston. 

These are the tomatoes I got this morning. They are coming on gangbusters right now. 

More beans....can you believe it? And I thinned out some carrots for the first time. There is enough for dinner tonight. The cherry tomatoes seem to be winding down, but you might remember that I only planted ONE cherry tomato plant and it has really produced.

Organization and purging.....All that I have managed to do is bring down a Rubbermaid bin from upstairs to sort in my Craft Room. It contains Christmas wrapping paper, packing boxes, gift ribbons and embellishments. My plan was to sort these and incorporate into my gift wrapping area in the Room.

Cleaning.....Along with my usual laundry this week, I have managed to also wash and hang out a quilt, a comforter, some cushions and some area rugs.

Crafting.....I didn't want to do any crafting until my room was sorted, BUT....I will have to make time to craft a few cards for my younger grandkids going back to school. I made a promise before I remembered my resolve. I have September birthdays coming up, but I think I have enough birthday cards made up already.  

4 comments:

  1. You have been getting a TON of beans from your garden. What a nice way to fill the freezer.

    I'm so glad your husband is feeling better and I hope that the leg incident does not happen again. That must have been so scary.

    I've only had sporadic opportunity to check blogs this past week and I have to say -- it really gives you an appreciation for how much people get done over time, even if it maybe seems small at the beginning. You have really done so much in your craft room. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am really quite pleased with all the beans and tomatoes that are going into the freezer right now. Maybe they will last all of the winter.

    I am happy you are impressed with the work in my Craft Room. *laugh* All I see of course, is what remains to be done and the fact that I haven't entered that room in a week. I must step up my efforts of trying to do a little every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this format for your post. It highlights the categories of work you did very clearly. I might borrow it at some point if you don't mind.

    I'm glad to hear your husband is feeling better. I was thinking about him this weekend and was wondering if the problem with the drooping eye and then the leg giving away could be part of a temporary palsy like a Bell's Palsy (although it couldn't be Bell's Palsy because it only affects the face)? I'm sure you anxious to get the test results back.

    You are getting tons of vegetables from your garden! I was so relieved to read your recent comment somewhere that all you do to preserve your veggies is to freeze them. I have been feeling very deficient in the canning/dehydrating/freezer meal cooking department so I'm glad to be in your company in the section of housewives who just want to put the stuff away without spending hours prepping it!

    So you collect salt and pepper shakers... where do you display them? How many do you have? When I was little, my mom's cousin collected keychains and had them displayed on several boards and I loved looking at them and touching them. The only thing I ever collected was stamps when I was younger because my dad and I had that interest in common. Now I collect dust bunnies. And cats, apparently.

    Well done with the organization and cleaning! Baby steps... if you accomplish everything right away, you'll run out of things to do, lol!

    Have a great week, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "you'll run out of things to do, lol!" Yeah, That's going to happen. They're not even baby steps. They are one step forward and three steps back.

    I keep my shakers displayed, but bring them out when I have dinner company, or when my husband can't find the salt & pepper shakers and helps himself. I don't have a lot because they are constantly getting broken. I should actually collect photos of salt and pepper shakers, because I can't seem to keep them very long. I have had some really cute ones over the years.

    You certainly may use this category format. This is how I wrote up my blog posts at the beginning of 2015. But you do something very similar now with your To-Do lists. Heaven knows I have "borrowed" a lot of your formats, like the Daybook Monday and the grocery categories. Love those.

    ReplyDelete