Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Wednesday Morning Kitchen Duty

This morning found me in the kitchen making my iced tea while putting the dishes away from the dishwasher. I'd already had my coffee and a fried egg and cheese sandwich for breakfast. I am already out of oatmeal and need to make another trip to the Bulk Barn. I am in the process of writing down my shopping list for the first of the month. My freezers are getting very full with my garden veggies, so I thought I would take some of those frozen whole tomatoes to make a pasta sauce. The cores are already removed, so I just dumped them into my largest bowl and poured boiling water over top. That way the skins slip right off them. I have run out of fresh onions , so I added dehydrated onion, chopped peppers from the freezer, granulated garlic and the usual Italian seasonings.
Frozen whole tomatoes and seasonings in the crock pot.   
                                                         

I had cooked up 4 or 5 slices of bacon the other night to make the pizza. So I fried up the rest of the package and put cooked bacon back in the freezer for future meals.
 The kitchen has been kind of smelly the last couple of days. I thought it was the garbage can,  but it turns out there were a couple of rotten potatoes in the  bag. That surprised me because potatoes generally don't last long enough in this house to go bad. I decided to peel and cut all the spuds that were still left in the bag. Some of them were kind of soft and others I had to cut away huge chunks from. After they were thoroughly washed, I left them to soak in very cold water.  I emptied the kitchen compost once again of all the peelings into the outside composter.  I noticed that it is a beautiful day outside today, but I had things to do inside. 

Potatoes left soaking in cold water



I took out one of my containers of turkey broth from the freezer and placed it in my soup pot with more dehydrated onion, salt, pepper and thyme. To it I added a few cherry tomatoes, burgundy beans, the rest of the carrots from the other night that I brought in from the garden, and some zucchini of mine that I froze earlier in the summer. I added corn that I removed from a batch of corn on the cob back in August, and some limp celery from the crisper. I sliced off the bottom of the celery and placed the stalks in a glass of water to firm up. Ten minutes before eating some for lunch, I added the chopped turkey meat from the freezer, a container of kidney beans that I previously cooked in the crock pot and then froze, and a handful of peperini pasta that I bought on clearance. (a 500 gm pkg. for 49 cents). It is very "stick to your ribs" good. 
Soup pot simmering on the stove

While the soup was still simmering, I boiled all the potatoes. I saved some to make potato salad for tonight's dinner, and the rest of them I mashed and put in a large freezer bag so it wouldn't take up too much room in the freezer.  I was able to save most of the potatoes and I have some prepared ahead for another meal. The soup will last several days for lunches. I have cooked crisped bacon to add to recipes or to make  toasted BLT sandwiches, and I will have marinara sauce for another meal, or two.

I am tired now from being on my feet, so I will relax a bit with some of that iced tea.

4 comments:

  1. You did a lot of cooking for one morning! That soup looks very yummy. I hope you have a nice, relaxed afternoon, making some cards, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I didn't make cards. I wanted so much to lie down and have a nap; but instead, I did a little bit more work in the craft room sorting through my rubber stamps. I think maybe tomorrow afternoon I might be tempted to do some crafting. I need to make some Thanksgiving and Hallowe'en cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything sounds and looks so gooooood! I wish I had someone cooking in my kitchen all morning too!

    Good save on the potatoes. For some reason it also always take me a couple of days of sniffing around before I realize that it's the potatoes going back AGAIN. You'd think that by now I'd check the potato bin first. It's so annoying when they go bad and it reeks so badly once you take the bag out of wherever you had stashed it. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is why I love my crock pot so much. It does the cooking in the kitchen for me....like having my own personal chef.

    We had the toasted tomato sandwiches with bacon last night with a side of the potato salad I made. Quick and delish.

    ReplyDelete