Tuesday, September 27, 2016

I intended to post again on my blog yesterday, but as soon as I finished my Daybook, my Sweetie offered to drive me to Napanee to shop at Giant Tiger. I had a few specials I wanted to pick up; but unfortunately, I  left it too late in the sale. The Country Kitchen Deli hams which were on for less than half price, were all sold out. I had intended to buy a case of Del Monte niblets corn and a case of peas. But upon arriving, found out there was a limit of 6 cans total. I bought 4 tins of corn and 2 tins of peas. Oh well. I could have gone back inside, dragging my hubby along with me, and try to purchase more, but I couldn't be bothered. I try to have a couple of tinned vegetables during the winter, but mostly I use frozen veggies. The mushrooms were only $1, the eggs were $1.98 a doz. (and before you think I paid too much for eggs, let me explain that that price is the cheapest for eggs in over a year), so I bought 3 dozen. My four 400 gm ground beef chubs were only $10 (a savings of $4) and the toilet paper which we were almost completely out of, was also on sale. I bought four frozen fruit beverages (not real juice) for my hubby to drink instead of just water.

Shopping at Giant Tiger only cost me $32.41
                                                 


When I got home I quickly prepared a beef stew for the crock pot, made some lunch, and then headed outdoors again to check the garden. There was a lot to harvest. Even though my bean plants are losing their leaves and the stems are becoming brittle and breaking off when I pick, they are still going gangbusters. Some of  these beans were very big (like 6-8 inches long), so I will have to cut them into pieces for the freezer and use them in soups and stews. The tomatoes are still ripening on the vines and I brought in yet another cucumber. I put the pitchfork in the ground and brought out enough carrots to eat with our meal last night and had some left over. When I harvest the potatoes and the carrots, I will take a picture of those. NO MORE bean pictures until next year. After I washed and snapped the beans and froze some more cored tomatoes, I went back outside to cut the lawns. Next Monday's Daybook, I may report that the grass is long, but I won't be telling you that I didn't mow yet again.

Not as cute as kittens, but I'm proud of them

 So we went to Smith Falls to see the family on Saturday, and I told you that "Dee" had brought us her neighbour's 50 inch screen TV for us. Well you have to know by now that Dee is always bringing us stuff. She is so generous. I might have mentioned that "Dee" was bringing a new Blackberry charger to replace mine which has not been working well. In the box that contained the charger was this brand new upgraded Blackberry tablet.....that she bought for me. OMG! She also brought me a yoghurt maker that I have been wanting to try.
A new Blackberry and a yoghurt maker

New stainless steel bathroom shelves with built in towel racks  
She asked if I wanted these bathroom shelves, and I said yes because I can replace some I already have. She also brought a bag filled with men's shirts and a sweater for my Sweetie Pie. The mason jar contains some pickle relish. Really and truly, it is like Christmas morning after a visit with her and my Dad.

So yesterday, I did not go into my Craft Room. I did not do any domestic Monday. Shopping and harvesting and mowing the lawns was all I could do. This morning started differently.
 By 11 AM, I......
 emptied the dishwasher, did two more loads of dishes, and washed off the cooktop.
 emptied the kitchen compost
 sorted all the recycling for this week.
 cleaned the downstairs litter box and washed the dog's two bowls.
put a huge load of dark wash into the machine to hang out this morning.

This afternoon I am going to Napanee Hospital to visit a friend. Hope you all are having a perfect day.  

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a busy day, yesterday! Gardening and harvesting should count for being domestic. And a very productive morning, today!

    How lovely to receive a new Blackberry and yogurt maker, in addition to all the other items! Sounds like "Dee" has a generous heart.

    I'm sure your friend will appreciate you visiting her in hospital. I hope you have a good visit with her and have a lovely rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bless. I did have a wonderful afternoon. I made two cards after lunch....a "thinking of you" card to bring to my friend in hospital, and a blank card with a frog sitting on a lily pad for my friend who was driving me to Napanee. It was blank because she wants to send it to someone she knows (and the frog is an inside joke). She offered to pay me for the card, but I don't want to start making cards as a business. It is my hobby, and I have a lot of fun making them. She was bringing Speculaas (Dutch windmill cookies) for our friend. When we got there, some of the residents, including our friend, were in the dining room having tea, so she shared the cookies all around. It was a great afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I laughed at your bean photo caption :) I love seeing your bean pictures, my dear, it's amazing how prolific they've... bean. Ha!

    I'm very envious of your carrots. I've had the worst luck with carrots. You just turn the earth with your pitchfork and carrots pop out of the ground like magic? Lucky you.

    Can Dee come visit my house? I don't like visitors but I'll make an exception for her! How nice of her to gift you with all those things, especially the upgraded Blackberry! Obviously she loves you very much.

    Let us know how your yogurt turns out. I've been meaning to try to make some in the crockpot but Greg takes it to work so I'd have to find good containers for it and also at $0.39 a cup, the Aldi ones are much less work, lol. My mom used to make yogurt but we weren't crazy about it. Well, I wasn't. I was never into yogurt much but my brother closer in age to me was ALL about yogurt.

    You did tons of chores this morning! Good for you! I got a few things knocked off my to do list and managed to take a short walk through my neighborhood. I still have to fold the laundry but I picked up new DVDs from the library so I'll probably do that next while I pop in a DVD.

    You made cards! In your Craft Room! Hooray! Let the Advent Calendaring begin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize Advent Calendar was a verb. I love it. I will have to start using it in sentences. *laugh* And "it's amazing how prolific they've....bean" Aren't you the clever one? You must have had your Wheaties this morning.

    "Dee" wasn't able to find the instruction manual to go with the yoghurt maker, so I will have to find it on-line. I will need to pick up the "ingredients" on my Friday grocery shopping. Yes, she spoils us terribly. She loves to go yard sale-ing, and will often pick up items for me if I am looking for something in particular. The items she brought me this time were items that she was purging from her own place. She is doing a better job than I am of getting rid of stuff.

    Yes, I made cards. WooHoo. I guess it is almost time to take photos of my Craft Room. Soon...very soon.

    ReplyDelete