Thursday, September 29, 2016

The Big Reveal

No this is not the before photo. This is indeed my finished project. I can almost hear some of you gasping and thinking to yourselves, "This is what she ended up with after working on it for over a month?  I can't imagine what it was like before she started."  And you would be right to think that. You wouldn't have wanted to see it before. I hated to be in there. I could barely find anything. Also keep in mind that I brought more stuff into this room from an upstairs bedroom where I kept all my wrappings and gift boxes.   


Walking into this room and turning right, this is what you see. It is a long narrow room with a window straight ahead, a sliding patio door behind me, and four windows overlooking the back yard to the left of me. There is a long work table to the left overlooking the back yard. My paper shelves are above one end of the table. To the right in this photo is a kitchen cabinet with two drawers and two cupboards and a deep counter space. My Cricut die cutting machine sits on top. Beyond that is a tall glass cabinet.


This is where I keep my Cricut cartridges on the top shelf.  The bottom shelf holds beads and jewellery findings and jewellery making tools. etc.  The two cardboard drawers on top hold sewing notions,   floral wires and tape and other non-paper supplies.


There is a desk top that pulls down to give me some space for making my jewellery. The two shelves below this pull down desk top, houses all my scrapbooks.


To the left of that tall cabinet is one of my freezers with a shelf above that to hold my craft and fabric paints, spray adhesive, Modge Podge, finishing sprays, etc. It is also where we store our extension cords. Beside the freezer, my son and my hubby keep various lengths of trim, lumber (for making guitars) and sections of board, because this just isn't my Craft room, it is the all-purpose junk room.  Between the freezer and the tall glass cabinet is a rolling cart with narrow shelves that holds a lot of specialty items. The blue shelves on top hold blades, confetti, glitter and sequins (tiny things).
I cannot make this pretty. On the floor in front of this window are lots and lots of frames that I have to deal with someday...just not now. Beside that is an area that is covered in a white tablecloth. I have placed a section of arborite on top of 3 covered bins. The bins contain photos and scrapbooks from family members that are not with us any longer. I have become the "family" historian and I want to scan these to discs or memory sticks to share with other family members. Those are long term projects. On top of the counter is a place to hold other projects in the works.
Between these last two windows are the beautiful shelves my Sweetie built me to hold my card stock and printed loose 12 x 12 inch scrapbook paper. They are sorted by colour. Yellow card stock is on the same shelf as the predominantly  yellow 12 x 12  papers.
My worktable is six feet long...plenty of room to spread out. Underneath the table are all sorts of bins and containers that contain stickers, tools, embellishments, punches, etc. I have so much stuff I just can't get rid of. I did donate a lot, including a full bin of silk flowers. The back of the table holds containers of ribbons, diecuts, adhesives, artist's brushes and daubers.
Looking back at the entrance to this room and on the right hand side is an electric fireplace. This room needs a little extra heat in the winter, because of all the windows and because it faces North. We painted the walls a pale and cheery yellow. In a few days I will need to bring in some houseplants that have spent the summer on the veranda. I will re-pot my lovely red shamrocks and keep them on top of the fireplace mantle. Above the mantle beside the patio door is a hanging bookcase. Right now it holds my hubby's Stephen King collection, but I would like to move those out of here and put my own craft books on those shelves.  



On the other side of the sliding glass doors, in the last corner of the room, is the stuff that does not belong to me. All of this belongs to my son and his GF, who have to deal with it by purging, storing in the basement or placing it upstairs in one of the other two rooms they have taken over. They wanted their own crafting space and I have given it to them. There is a square table under that lot. If they want the overhead shelf, which I suspect they do, I will place the 3 red photo boxes on a shelf at the opposite end of the room. They can also keep bins in the corner under the table.   
 



So I am really happy with how this arrangement is working out for me. Everything is in one room and I know where all my supplies are. There are a couple of sitting work areas and one standing work area. There is room to spread out and I can close the door and hide it all until I want to come back to it. Was it worth all the time and energy I put into it? Absolutely. I hope you are duly impressed. *laugh*

8 comments:

  1. It looks very well organized, Susan. You obviously put in a lot of thought into how everything is grouped. The cartridges on a shelf next to the Cricut machine; all the jewellery making items in one place with a drop down work surface and light right there; the storage for papers and embellishments near the work table, for example.

    I love all the light you have in the room from all the windows. It's a very pleasant place in which to craft. I also love the long table where you can spread out! I have to carry everything to the big dining table when I want to spread out, and unless I clean up right afterwards, the house gets very messy very quickly!

    I laughed when I saw the freezer. We do share our crafting space with other uses, don't we? My "crafts" room also does double and triple duty as the guest room, office room, and storage room!

    I'm glad you have your crafts room arranged to your liking. I'm sure you'll continue to tweak it as you go along because these things are always a work-in-progress, aren't they?

    Thank you for sharing the pictures. Enjoy all your hard work and reward yourself with making something. Looking forward to seeing the cards you will be making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words. If I wanted to craft in the past, I would go back and forth between this room and the dining room, where I also "spread out" on the dining table. And yes, I do know how quickly it becomes a disastrous MESS.

    Having everything in this one location with the long table in the room is going to work perfectly. I do some work standing up and some of it sitting. To have each work space so close to each other is wonderful. I think it will always be messy still, but it should also make cleaning up after a big project much easier than it was in the past. And it will always be a work in progress as I change things to my liking.

    I will always be motivated as I gaze outside through those windows, because Nature is the best inspiration. The windows ARE the best feature of this room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what Bless said! Boy, Susan, you weren't kidding, you have A LOT of stuff! I laughed at a couple of things: your long-term project of scanning all those old photos because I have the same long-term projects with my own photos, and the comment about not wanting to throw away your crafting supplies. I have a surprising amount of crafting supplies that no one ever uses but that I refuse to throw away! You never know, I might become a crafter in my old age :)

    I love all the windows and the long table. It would never remain as clean as that at my house, though. It would soon become covered with stuff. I hope you can manage to keep your workplace clearer than I would!

    I was wondering 2 things as you took us on the tour:
    1) What is that weird-looking black tower thingie in front of all the frames, by your freezer?
    2) Where your son and GF's craft table was, but you did show it to us at the end :)

    My mom keeps her chest freezer in my old bedroom, which is a junk room/guest bedroom now. It's where the kids and I slept last year. She would come in to get meat to defrost from our bedroom in the mornings. That was... kind of odd! But it works for her since most of the year that room sits unused.

    I didn't know you made jewelry too. You're a Susan of all trades! You'll have lots of pictures to share with us now that you can craft again. Do you already know what you'll be making for your Advent calendars?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That weird tower thingie is something that "Dee" found at a yard sale for me to display my cards; but, I have never used it, and it will probably be going to the Thrift shop. I am not going into the business of selling my cards, and I generally keep my cards and envelopes standing upright in plastic shoe boxes.

    Speaking of not wanting to throw anything away. When it came time to come up with a gag gift for my brother's 65th birthday party, I had all those items at home (kid's sports whistle, small magnifying glass, marbles, little tiny post-it pad with pencil....all brand new items). The only thing I bought was the Tootsie Pop. So you can well imagine how difficult it is for me to get rid of stuff. But I did get rid of silk flowers, oasis and containers for creating arrangements.

    I have to start Advent calendaring soon. I need to wrap those little presents that I have bought already and make my lists so I know what I have left to buy or make. Most of the crafting I do right now is making the little boxes and gift bags to hold the little gift items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering where you had gotten the marbles from because I wanted to buy some for my boys several years ago and I had the darnedest time finding any anywhere. Choking hazard and all that, I suppose. I had the best time playing marbles at recess when I was in elementary school!

      So I had a dream about you last night. It was very odd, as dreams usually are. My mom and I were coming to visit you with the kittens so we could craft with you. We made it to your house, you had a cute little white picket fence and you gave us a tour of your craft room like you did in this post. I guess my mom started understanding English along the way, lol. Suddenly, though, one of my kittens got horribly sick. Your son came out and he happened to be a vet and his GF was his nurse so they tried to see what was wrong with the kitten but he had to tell me he had died! It was so sad! I decided that I was going to rush the kitten back to the States to see if it could be revived so my mom and I and the kittens left in my car in a rush... and then I woke up and was quite relieved that the kitten wasn't dead! But we didn't get you to show us how to make a craft, lol. So bizarre.

      Delete
    2. Oh my gosh. That was a nightmare. Poor kitty. I have woken up from a sad dream sobbing my eyes out. It is strange stuff that our dreams are made of.

      You took me back a lot of years talking about playing marbles at recess, and after school, and weekends. I think I was addicted to playing marbles. We called them "allies."

      Delete
  5. Wow, Susan! You have a great space. I can totally relate to not wanting to share before pictures. My own spaces where I craft and so on are rather...fully packed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "fully packed"...I like that expression. My whole house is rather "fully packed". I need to start purging the rest of my spaces.

    ReplyDelete