Sunday, September 18, 2016

Sunshine Sunday

Sorry, no photos today. I need a new charger for my Blackberry. So enjoy this clipart I found of me...the turkey neck is me, the glasses are me, the pudge is me. My hair is longer. 
Cooler temps bring on desire for baking

It is Sunday late afternoon. My Sweetie has been on a clear liquid diet all day in preparation for a colonoscopy tomorrow that I am not sure is going to happen. He is still coughing from his boots and is moving like a very old man. Yesterday was a very wet and rainy day, but I had to go to Shopper's Drug Mart to pick up his liquid diet and two kinds of OTC medications. I got 4 cans of clear consomme (two of beef and two of chicken), 3 2 liter bottles of ginger ale, 2 packages of yellow Jello gelatin, and a package of Chapman's sport Popsicles with electrolytes (kind of like frozen Gatorade) which my husband says are really delicious. I was so very lucky to find out that everything food I bought was on sale except for the yellow Jello. Of course the medications are pricey, but I needed them. I spent the last of my gift card on the medicines, and spent slightly less than $20 on the food stuffs, including some Becel that we were low on.

Because it was rainy, I spent most of the day in the kitchen. I baked  peanut butter cookies and one dozen whole wheat hamburger buns because I cooked hamburgers for dinner last night. I wanted his last meal to be a favourite. *laugh* However he wasn't feeling great, so he only ate a half of one.

Today turned out sunny, so I did a large load of whites and lights, with a change of bed sheets, and hung them outside. I read some blog posts and was inspired by Laura over on today's blog with her Autumn Joy List. It is a list of fun and social events that she wants to partake in to celebrate the season.....sort of like a bucket list for the short term. So I took her lead and baked some pumpkin and raisin muffins this afternoon. For dinner tonight, because it is just myself, I will probably finish off the rest of the split pea soup I made on Friday. My Sweetie and I finished off Homeland on Netflix on Friday night. The new fall lineup of cable TV shows are starting this week, so we didn't really want to start a new TV series just yet, so last night we watched "The Revenant" with Leo diCaprio. It was good. He won the Oscar that year; but it is very bloody and intense. We may take some time to watch a few Netflix movies for a while. But on September 23rd, the fifth season of Longmire will come out here in Canada, so we will be watching that.

6 comments:

  1. LOL, I'm always going to picture you like that old lady now. I happen to know you don't look like an old lady, though :)

    It sounded like your husband was feeling better when he went to have coffee with his friends earlier in the day. He might have needed to stay home and rest, though. It takes a while for the body to recuperate from the flu in the best of cases and he's already weakened by his other ailments... I sure hope he didn't go through all the colonoscopy prep for no reason. In a way, if they're going to stick something up his butt, it shouldn't matter that he has the flu as long as he doesn't have diarrhea. Well, that's my thinking and I'm no doctor. Tell him good luck for me!

    You baked up a storm alright. What's going to happen to all those goodies, Susan? Expecting company? Well that's too bad because I'm of a mind of coming to see you and sample all those goodies. I've been starving this whole weekend. I was eyeing all my baking supplies today and making plans to bake up a storm too. There's definitely something about September that makes me want to bake more, even though the temps are still in the high 80s (and tonight it still feels like 97F outside!)

    How great that most of what you had to buy was on sale. I love shopping trips like that!

    I've never watched Longmire, I don't think. I've seen it in the line-up, though. I'll have to read up on it. I'll pass on The Revenant because I really don't like DiCaprio, although I know he's a good actor. But there's just something about him that makes me want to say "Hmm, no." Not sure why. Also I don't like movies anymore in general, I prefer series.

    We didn't have the TV on at all this whole weekend, which was really nice, actually. Wait, I'm lying, the TV WAS ON the whole weekend, but it's because we listened to the radio via the Roku so the TV has to be on. It's a good thing that it's one of those Energy-Star rated TVs. But we didn't watch any shows or movies. I just watched the whole Law & Order: Criminal Intent series and also finished watching the 17th season of L&O: Special Victims Unit so I'm a little overdosed on TV Shows for now.

    Well, good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny, because I FEEL that old. Yes, my hubby went out to have his coffee, but he soon came back and went to bed. He is really dragging.

      I tend to bake when I am anxious. Some of that baking went straight into the freezer, but I am sure my Sweetie will feel up to having some later on today. I have to admit though, I had to taste test some...a lot... of it.

      I don't want to seem contrary, but....I think you have watched Longmire. I seem to remember thinking, "Oh Nathalie watches it too." But I could be wrong. I probably am. Last night we watched "The Martian" with Matt Damon.

      Have a good day.

      Delete
  2. Lots of yummy baking going on! It's a good thing I am still off my taste for cookies and cakes! Otherwise, I'll be tempted to bake something, myself.

    I am hoping all will go well with your husband's procedure, tomorrow. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again Bless. I think I am more anxious about them NOT doing the test rather than the results. We kind of expect them to find a bleed.

      Anything you bake now could be packaged up well and frozen to give as homemade gifts around the holidays, if you were so inclined. Definitely you have to be in the right frame of mind for baking. Have a great day.

      Delete
  3. Peanut butter cookies and pumpkin muffins sound fantastic! I like to bake when I feel anxious, too. It makes me feel like at least a few ducks are in a row.

    I am such a wimp about movies; I'm not sure I could watch The Revenant even though I have heard good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baking gives me some semblance of control, I agree. It feels very nurturing, and I have something to show for my efforts.

    I don't like gory, bloody movies, or horror films. When I go to the movies, it is strictly for entertainment. It should be a comedy or have a happy ending. I get so involved in the story or plot of a movie, I am totally engaged. I cry like a baby, or hide behind pillows (even walk out of the room), or laugh 'til my stomach hurts and I am gasping. There are some movies that are etched into my memory because of how they left me feeling for days and weeks after. eg., "Deliverance", "Sophie's Choice", and "Schindler's List" come to mind because I was almost physically ill watching those. I do not seek out those films, and probably wouldn't have watched them knowing what I know now. So I guess I am a wimp as well. Having said that, the film "The Revenant" was not one of THOSE films. The story was simple, the acting was superb (Leo had very few lines to say), and yes there was blood and gore, but honestly done and not overdone.

    ReplyDelete