Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Domestic Wednesday Morning

Natalie made a remark recently about doing the "domestic thing" until noon, by doing as much as you can from your to-do list until lunchtime. That sounded like a fantastic idea to me because after I have eaten lunch, I am generally too pooped to do anything else but make dinner. Besides that, I had a doctor's appointment this afternoon at 3 o'clock and needed to be out of here by 2:15. So with that in mind, I.....

emptied the dishwasher and started loading it up again.

made my iced tea

sorted the recycling for tomorrow morning (Blue box for glass, tin and plastic)

brought down the upstairs garbage to the outdoor bins for tomorrow  morning's collection

took the kitchen compost out to the garden composter

made a beef stew for the crock pot adding potatoes, carrots, tomato, and beans from the garden and onions, broccoli, and celery from the pantry.

wrote a sentiment in a handmade birthday card, addressed and mailed it out to one of my brothers

cleaned the downstairs litter box

made my homemade Taco seasoning mix and beef seasoning mix to replace my empty jars

harvested more tomatoes, beans, and peppers

froze a medium freezer bag (quart sized?) of pepper strips, and one of tomatoes

washed and snipped both ends off the beans with my thumbnail against my forefinger. This took about an hour with my hands in the water the whole time getting all prune-like.

I warmed up the last of my turkey soup for lunch at 2 PM and left for my appointment

Can you believe how many beans I am still getting?

Making my homemade seasoning mixes

Yesterday I did nothing. We left the house at 8:30 for a 9:15 appointment at the eye clinic. We were in the waiting room for  2 hours and in the doctor's office for  2 hours. My Sweetie will have two more appointments made for him....one for a plastic surgeon to remove the drooping eyelid and the fluid sack under the eye. They don't know why this has developed but the eye itself is okay.  He will also go to an ophthalmologist to see if that eye is developing glaucoma, or at the very least, they will measure a baseline so they can watch for any further deterioration.
After my husband's appointment, I drove to LifeLabs for some blood work for myself. There was a half hour wait there, so we didn't get home yesterday until 2:30 PM. I don't understand how sitting around doing absolutely nothing, can be so darn tiring. 

Crafting:  nothing

September goals:  did one hour's weeding on Monday until the mosquitoes drove me inside

Maintenance and Preparedness: homemade seasoning mixes today and more veggies for the freezer

Organizing and Purging:  nothing

Cleaning: a super load of laundry ( including bedsheets) washed and hung to dry on Monday

Spending money:  Today at Giant Tiger, I spent $19.60 for 14 kg of kitty litter ($6.99) , 6 tins of salted peanuts ($1 each), and 3 loaves of Country Harvest bread ($1.64 each) All were half price. 

4 comments:

  1. You had a super productive day! I'm absolutely like you, not good for anything after lunch, usually.

    I'm so glad your husband's eye seems to be OK. How annoying that you had to wait that long to see the various doctors, though. It seems that time management isn't something that they teach in medical school.

    You're doing well with your September goals! I have much weeding to do but I can't even think of working in the garden when I have so much to do at home. I think I might have to pack up the kitten's playpen tomorrow morning and put it back together upstairs so I can vacuum downstairs without scaring them too much.

    Oh, and it's Nathalie, Suzanne. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry Nathalie. Can you tell I have too much on my mind these days??

    I guess the problem was my misunderstanding that his appointment was with the Eye Clinic. It was not to see an ophthalmologist. These clinic appointments can be horrendous, and this day certainly was. There were only two doctors who were supervising medical students this day, and you could tell they were beyond frustrated. Clinic hours should have been over by noon, and yet here we were at 1:15 (a 9:15 appointment) finally being discharged. I think that medical school must emphasis thoroughness and attention to detail, while practice and the "real world" teach you time management. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a very productive morning and got a lot done before leaving for your medical appointment!

    Oh, don't you hate all the waiting around at the clinics? I've had my share of 9:00 a.m. appointments that last until mid-afternoon! Definitely very tiring.

    Hope the rest of your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for that Bless, but I have been following your housework schedule and I feel very inadequate by comparison.

    Yes, I don't like clinic appointments much. Appointments with my family doctor are very good, but clinics tend to schedule several patients for the same time. You can end up there for hours sometimes. I read about your last appointment. That was dreadful. Hope the next one goes more smoothly.

    ReplyDelete