Monday, July 6, 2015

Beautiful summer weather

Lots of buds on my clematis plant. 

We have had some sunny days of late, which means that I will try and get outside to do what I can  before the heat or mosquitoes drive me back indoors. I have been able to cut the grass and do a little weeding. I am also cutting back the spent blooms. I have spent over three hours total cutting down my lupines and pulling weeds in the back. If I am lucky, there may be a second bloom on the lupines before the end of summer. Cutting back the lupines also allows sunlight into the areas where other flowers are trying to grow. I discovered my Scabiosa or pin cushion flowers trying to bloom this afternoon through the massive growth of lupines. I will try to get a picture tomorrow. I am also pulling  out some of my lupines as they are taking over sections of the flower beds. They had very nearly choked out my Jacob's ladder. I have white and blue. Once I have cleared out an area, I will be able to lay down some cedar mulch like I did in the front flower bed. 

Adam's Needle (Yucca plant) is breaking out in huge blossoms.

Frugality this week: I only found two dimes and one nickle this past week, but with my rebate check of $9.88 it was a good week for "found money". 

My Sweetie Pie bought me twenty bags of cedar mulch on sale for $2 a bag, using a gift certificate that he received  at Christmas, so no out-of-pocket. What a great guy. This will hopefully reduce the growth of weeds and conserve water. 

We are harvesting lettuce and radishes from the veggie garden and enjoying a few green salads. We are having one tonight with a meat loaf and roasted potatoes made with my homemade Ragin' Cajun spice mix. 

Spent money at the Dollar Store for Q-tips, peroxide, and a new nail brush for the kitchen sink.( Gardening does a number on my fingernails.) Some things I don't like to pay drug store prices for and are just as good here at the $ Store. 

Fried up 3 pounds of ground beef with pepper, onions, carrots, celery to make four containers of cooked ground meat for future casseroles and dinner dishes. The addition of veggies adds extra nutrition and bulks up the meat to go further. 

Made another bread pudding with leftover buns from the freezer. Made choc chip cookies with supplies on hand. 


Free cereal this week with coupon from Kellogg's.

No comments:

Post a Comment