Thursday, July 9, 2015

Indoors today...away from the mosquitoes

White hydrangea snowball bush


Yesterday I was outdoors getting some more weeding done, and fully expected to be there again today. I was surprised by the overcast skies. The weather was perfect for mosquitoes, so I didn't take any chances and stayed inside.  

Balloon flowers start as round buds that burst into these beauties.

I sliced up two cups of chicken left over from last night's roast chicken dinner and put it in the freezer  to make some honey mustard chicken at a later date. I put all the rest of the chicken and the carcass into the crock pot and simmered all day to make a chicken stock for soup. I purposely boiled more potatoes than I needed last night, so that I could make potato salad for tonight's dinner of pork chops alongside a green salad. The romaine lettuce and radishes came from my veggie garden. I also brought in 3 stalks of rhubarb to add to my frozen strawberries, and I baked a strawberry rhubarb crumble. I forgot to take a photo of my produce, because that short little visit to the garden resulted in my getting eaten by mosquitoes. That, and I always forget to take pictures. I need to try harder. 

I spent much of my afternoon going through this week's grocery flyers. Great deals this week. Eye of round roast is $3/lb. at No Frills.  That is cheaper than hamburger, and I doubt we will see that price again for a very long time. Kraft peanut butter is $3 for the 1 kg jar. That is a stocking up price. Black Diamond cheese slices and cheese strings are only $2. Use your coupons to get a really great deal. I'll write again tomorrow with my best buys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment