Tuesday, July 21, 2015

More photos from this week-end

The Shriners'  Float
This past week-end was also the Odessa Fair. Odessa is a tiny rural village where I live outside of Kingston. The parade down the Main Street used to be a big deal, but now it is not even big enough to get out of bed for. But, it is nostalgic, because my kids used to go into the parade, and then their kids (my grandkids) We have even won some cash prizes (just a few dollars) as well as free entrance into the fairgrounds. The kids have a chance to dress in costume and /or decorate their bikes and wagons. They are accompanied by an adult, which may explain why the parade gets smaller and smaller each year. Suddenly, liability became a huge issue, and our small fair board couldn't afford the hefty insurance premiums; so, as a result, we don't even have marching bands or dance groups anymore. I never minded dressing in costume and making a fool of myself, so if I have visiting grandchildren during the week of the fair, there is a lot of sourcing for costumes and decorating of the float. It can be a lot of fun. 

Walkers and bicyclists
Dogs are very welcome too

Sunday's weather seemed even more humid, but that may be because we don't have central air conditioning like my brother in Smith Falls. We have ceiling fans and open windows downstairs, and upstairs we have window air conditioners that we turn on at night.  I also cooked up my stretched out ground beef. I fried 3 pounds of hamburger with chopped onion, zucchini and grated carrot to bulk up into four containers for the freezer. I also boiled some macaroni  and three eggs and placed it in the refrigerator to get cold. It was a good day to get all my laundry caught up and hanging outside on the line. For supper, I chopped some onion, chives, basil, a red pepper, 3 diced hard boiled eggs, some celery and a bag of partially thawed shrimp from the freezer, which I added to the cold macaroni.  I mixed it all with mayonnaise and  sweet Thai chili  sauce to make a really yummy dinner salad. My husband and I each had two big servings, with some left over for lunch the next day. 



Yellow and pink day lilies

What a gorgeous colour day lily

Asiatic lilies

Here are some more photos of some of my SIL's lilies. Beautiful!

My big news of the day! My Sweetie just got a phone call from his vascular surgeon in Toronto just minutes ago. He is going  to fix the abdominal aneurysm and repair the arteries in his back. This is a BIG operation....it ranks right up there with his two heart valve replacements and his kidney transplant, except that I am feeling very anxious about this one. You are the first to hear that the date has been set for August 25th.


1 comment:

  1. That is indeed a big operation and I wish you both good luck with it and with the recovery. Will he be in the hospital for long? Will you be going to Toronto to be with him the whole time? Do any of your kids live in Toronto? Sorry if I'm being nosy. ((Hugs)) to you.

    We live in a small town as well, although it is getting bigger by way of land annexation and also new construction, ugh. I'd like it to stay small! Anyhoo, we have a homecoming parade and a Christmas parade. The homecoming parade used to be a big deal for us because both my older boys were in marching band in middle school and high school and my 2nd stepdaughter was in JROTC along with my oldest son, throughout high school and they marched as well. Nowadays, we don't even bother attending, although it passes just 100 ft away from my house. The thing is, it's gotten much smaller and the city never advertises it so unless your kid(s) march in it, you don't even know about it until it's too late.

    The Christmas parade is a better showing but makes a turn about a block away from our house. It has floats from various high school clubs, lots of dance groups and, of course, lots of church groups and charities. But families don't create their own floats. 3 or 4 years ago I was watching it and Shaquille O'Neal was in it! If you know anything about American basketball, he used to be quite the star. Greg is a big basketball fan and didn't want to attend the parade so I texted him that Shaq was in the parade and he thought I was trying to get him to come down to attend with me! Thankfully I had taken a video so I showed it to him when I got home later on and he was kicking himself, lol. I think Shaq was there to promote the local Boys & Girls Club because he's a friend of the director. Anyway, it was very weird to see such a big star, unannounced, in our parade!

    I love the pictures of the lillies, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete