Thursday, July 30, 2015

What?? No flower photos to share??

Some of the weeds on my property...Queen Anne's Lace. I love to add some to bouquets from my flower gardens.

Last night before bed I washed up two loads of laundry so that I could hang them out on the line this morning. Of course when I got up, it was raining. It didn't really bring cooler temperatures, but it seems to have taken some of the humidity out of the air. There is a breeze today. I hung out the clothes anyway, and soon the sun was out. 

There is more broccoli, beans and cucumber to pick.

I was also going to harvest more beans and broccoli today, but after that good rain, I will wait now until tomorrow. I mowed and trimmed the front yard and also pulled some weeds and pruned back some of the rose bush. When more dark clouds moved in, I quit the yard work and brought in the dry clothes off the line. 

The red lettuce has grown back in.  No ripened tomatoes though.

After picking all the red lettuce last week to make the salad for company. I have noticed today that  it has grown back in quite nicely. I will use some to put on our tacos tonight. I have the soft tortillas, cooked ground beef, cooked black beans, sour cream and a little bit of shredded cheese. The only thing missing is the fresh tomato, but salsa should be fine. 

The grocery flyers were delivered to the driveway, so I shall be going through them this afternoon. I've made up my grocery list already taking into consideration my menu plans for the weeks that my son and his daughter will be here visiting. She is vegetarian, so I want to make up some of her favourite  meals. My husband says he has never met a vegetarian who hated vegetables as much as she does. Ha. But I know she loves spaghetti and shepherd's pie. She loves twice baked potatoes, fried rice and chili fin carne. And believe me when I say, I can hide a myriad of pureed veggies in the texturized vegetable protein. Lots of those meals I can make ahead, so that is my challenge for this weekend. Also, when she is helping me harvest veggies from the garden, she MAY be more receptive in trying them. We will see. 

1 comment:

  1. She's a vegetarian who doesn't like vegetables? That sounds... weird. Is she a child? (only asking because little girls always seem to go through periods of "I don't want to eat animals" but also most kids don't like vegetables all that much. Good for you to be able to plan special meals for her, though :)

    I love that you're getting more lettuce! I'm going to see if the Romaine lettuce seeds that I collected from my own garden back in May will sprout indoors.

    ReplyDelete