Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Getting things done

New kitchen window is framed in.

This week we are having a heat wave.....3 days or more with temperatures of 30 degrees Celcius or more. What makes it feel more than 100 degrees F. is the humidex. I have lots of things outside that need doing, but it will still be there waiting for me when the temperatures cool down. We did accomplish some things this morning before it got too hot. We framed in this new window at the back of the house which is in the shade during the morning. The first window was just a piece of fixed glass; but now we have a vinyl clad window with screen that opens up and allows cross ventilation in my kitchen. This window is also a tad bit smaller, so we had to build a new frame for it. It still needs to be trimmed out (inside and out), but the main part is finished. The only other window in my kitchen is on the side wall and looks right into my neighbour's kitchen, so although I can open that window, I keep a cafe curtain on it permanently closed. This window looks right out onto my deck and back yard. 

Globe Thistle

An unusual specimen plant that loves the heat. They also attract a lot of bees. 
First head of brocolli

The other thing I got finished before it got too hot to work, was I checked out my veggie garden. I noticed that one of my broccoli heads was big enough to cut, and that I had another harvest of beans to bring in. The broccoli was soaked in salt water, and the beans are washed and trimmed. When they dry, I will put them into quart freezer bags. 

More green and burgundy beans

I will cook the broccoli florets and add them to cold pasta and crab pieces for a cold pasta salad tonight. All I want to do in this heat, is have a siesta. 



2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, it's hotter where you are than in Florida right now! It's 28 celsius right now and my weather app tells me it feels like 33... but it's been raining most of the day.

    I love all your veggies. Look at all those beautiful beans! And broccoli! Mine never grew this past year :(

    And you and your husband did the job on the window by yourselves?! I wish we were talented this way, lol. I'm sure you'll love the new window (and ventilation) in your kitchen. Switching from single pane to double pane windows has really reduced the heat in our house, especially in the South facing rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love my new window. We had most of our windows replaced over the last 10 years. We had them done one floor at a time, because as you well know, it is a lot of money spent at once. We used the same window and door company both times. They did a great job.....only one day to install the windows and trim them out. My husband has always been handy and we work together really well. He has some health issues right now, but between the two of us we were able to frame the opening and my son and I lifted the window into place. This window never existed before. We only added it after the other window installations, because I felt claustrophobic in my tiny kitchen. I wanted to look out on my gardens when I was at the sink. I am really happy with it now.

    ReplyDelete