Monday, July 20, 2015

Saturday in Smith Falls

Solar array
Hot water
The weather was sunny and hot and humid all week-end. Saturday was a great day to visit my brother and his wife, who were also hosting my Dad and "Dee" visiting from Elliot Lake for the weekend. They have built a lovely home on this large piece of property in Smith Falls. It is large enough to house this huge solar array which produces 10 Kw an hour, which they sell to Ontario Hydro. The hot water (heat pump) provides all their hot water. In winter it heats their home and in summer, it heats their swimming pool.


My SIL keeps several wonderful perennial gardens on the property as well. Everything is well spaced and orderly, with lots of mulch to keep down the weeding and watering needs. 

This is a terraced shade garden with lots of different varieties of Hosta, Coral Bells, Astilbe, and Obedient Flower. She cuts back every Spring, as these plants like to spread. 

This looks more like my garden....very English Country garden. You will recognize the white hydrangea (Snowball) and the Crimson Monarda or Bee Balm that I mentioned a few weeks ago. I have pinkish purple. I want the RED. Isn't it beautiful. I will be taking some of these later in the summer after they have finished blooming. She also has several different kinds of lilies growing all over the place.....Day lilies, Asiatic lilies, and Oriental lilies of every different colour and hue. I thought maybe you would appreciate looking at some other gardens that I admire.

A tour of the garden followed by a lovely dip in the pool.

My brother  made a roast beef barbecued on the spit, with baked potatoes sliced and slivered with smoked cheddar and topped with  bacon and green onions, along with fresh green beans sauteed in olive oil, garlic and pimento. The entree was preceded by a cold creamy strawberry soup. Dessert was a trifle made with fresh strawberries, raspberries and blackberries over sponge cake soaked in ice wine from the Picton vineyards. Eating dinner at my brother's house is always a treat. What's more, he always gives the impression that he enjoys it. Go figure. So sorry I didn't think to take pictures of the table. I was too busy filling my face. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing those gorgeous pictures! I particularly love that one with the white and red flowers. What a contrast! I wish I had such flowers here. I want to try and improve our landscaping a bit.

    Is your brother a chef? I don't blame you for stuffing your face, all the dishes sound wonderful! Creamy strawberry soup? Yum. I should look up a recipe for that.

    ReplyDelete