Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Scorching hot weather

Brown-eyed Susans are actually considered a wild flower, but I love to have them in my garden.

The meteorologists warned us that today would probably be the hottest day of the summer so far, so I planned not to go outside. I  worked instead on my dining room table under the ceiling fan, and got some birthday cards made and sent out for August. I didn't even bother to open the Living room drapes this morning. I just stayed in the dark. It turns out it may not have been a record-breaking day. I will find out when I watch the news after supper. For the first time in days, we actually had some air movement...a little bit of a breeze. It didn't seem as sticky this afternoon. 

Shasta daisy

The cold pasta salad I made for dinner last night was just so yummy. I made it similarly to the one last week with the shrimp, but this time I used a small package of imitation crab meat that you buy in the frozen food section. I bought a package last month when it was on sale for $1. I liked it just as much. I added the broccoli florets in the last five minutes of cooking the bowtie pasta, so there was still just a bit of crunch. I used a green onion from the garden and chopped up a yellow pepper. I mixed it together with the last bit of mayo I had and some sweet Thai chili sauce. That was all we ate. There is still some left, so we will finish tonight with icy cold home-baked beans and grilled hot dogs in buns. I love cold beans. We used to have cold beans at our picnics. 

Volunteer Petunia plants from last year's seed. I never did get around to planting anything in this back yard planter.

My husband had to go into town to pick up a prescription, so I gave him $25 grocery money to pick up some of this past week's specials at Shopper's Drug Mart......they were all items that are on my grocery list. He bought 4 litres of 2% milk, 4 litres of skim milk, Maxwell House instant coffee, hamburger and hot dog buns, 2 more loaves of whole wheat bread  and 2 doz. eggs. My main shopping trip is Friday morning when we have to go in for the Costco pickup anyway, and the new grocery flyers are out. 


Cherry tomatoes just beginning to ripen

I checked the veggie garden this afternoon. I will need to harvest more beans and another broccoli head tomorrow morning. If it isn't too hot, I will need to thin the carrots again. I have green tomatoes, but only our cherry tomatoes are beginning to turn red. All this hot sunny weather should help the veggies, but isn't helping me any. Stay cool everyone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment