Thursday, March 14, 2019

Coming Up for Air

Oh my. It has been 4 days since I last posted on my blog. The week has just melted away, much like the snow has done over the past couple of days. It is a balmy 10* C right now. If there were sunshine, one could be fooled into thinking that Spring was on its way. After I wrote my Daybook on Monday, I decided that I would drive into Kingston after all to pick up a few things I needed at No Frills. I needed eggs and frozen berries, so I picked those up and then some.
 I spent a total of $27.95 on groceries......2 doz eggs, frozen mixed berries, 3 chicken legs with backs attached, large head of cabbage and cream cheese.
 Before I left town, I stopped at the post office to mail off my 3 kids cards and picked up my mail. I got an envelope with two truvia sweetener samples inside. I then stopped at Home Hardware and bought a bag of potting soil that was on sale for $4.80 including tax.

On Tuesday I got busy making birthday cards. I had chicken in the crockpot making broth while I worked at the dining table. For every card I made for my niece, I made a duplicate one for my own stash. I will likely just take these to her and let her pick out the ones she likes. I don't know her style, so when she picks out her choices I can observe which kind I should turn my attention. This will get her started anyway.



Yesterday, while putting together the cards, I made a big pot of chicken and vegetable soup. I also shredded and "burned" my cabbage because I cannot multi-task, try as I might. Well, I picked out the burned pieces and rescued most of it. I made a cream cheese sauce and drowned the cabbage in that, so it didn't taste too terribly bad. I had the rest of it for lunch today. Thank goodness, I only shredded half of the head of cabbage, so I can try again later.

Today I printed out card inserts with birthday verses. I have them folded and placed inside the cards, but could not tape them down because I ran out of my 2-way tape yet again. I think if I had not  run out of tape, I would still be creating cards. I finished my afternoon by splitting and repotting some of my aloe plants. I have way too many. I just hate throwing them out. Perhaps in the spring, I will leave some out at the curb for anyone to help themselves.

It sure feels like Spring right now. The snow is melting very quickly, and oh....did I mention that the other morning when I got up, I noticed 5 little bunnies playing in my backyard? I don't know how many there are in total, but they have been busy. This doesn't bode well for my plans to grow a veggie garden later this spring. 


6 comments:

  1. Hello, just wanted to say how much I enjoy your blog! I do have a question regarding you meals, etc. but maybe I have missed something. What type of food plan / diet are you on and is it for any particular health reason? When I see your food purchases, we seem to eat a lot of similar foods. I am eating in hopes of weight loss( 61 pounds so far) but just by decreasing carbs. Nothing so strict such as keto,etc. if this is too personal, I can understand not responding. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen and thank you for commenting. About a year and a half ago my GP placed me on a diet that resembles the Paleo or Keto Diet. She directed me to a site called Diet Doctor to use as a guide. I use a lot of keto recipes. It is a protein, high fat dairy and low carb diet that should lower and maintain my blood sugar levels. I do not count macros, or calories, points or grams. I do not exercise or weigh myself. It was a diet for the first time in my life that I could easily follow and it works. My blood sugar level dropped below 6 for the first time in years and as an added bonus, I lost about 27 pounds. I have not had to visit my GP since the early autumn, but this month I have to get more blood work done and make an appointment for a follow-up. I basically eat above ground veggies except for corn and peas. There are NO grains at all.

      Sixty-one pounds! That is fantastic! Great job. I wish you continued good news. Do you have much more you want to lose?

      Delete
  2. Those are great cards! I'm sure your niece will want all of them! I love the one that says it's nature's way of telling us to eat more cake! LOL!

    Well done on the grocery shopping! I'm sorry about the burned cabbage, though! But, you managed to salvage it with the cheese sauce. I once burned boiled eggs! Boiled them completely dry and they burned through the shells!

    Yes, those bunny rabbits are going to enjoy themselves if you plant a vegetable garden, unless you figure out a way to rabbit proof the vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Bless. I am hoping there is enough variety that I will get some idea of what kind of cards she prefers. She only asked for feminine cards this time around.

    I was so upset with myself over neglecting the shredded cabbage. It was my own stupid fault for not paying enough attention. Making cards is pure distraction. Fortunately I was able to salvage most of it and wasted very little. And yes, I cannot count the times I have burned eggs like you have. I should NEVER, ever walk out of the kitchen while cooking at the stove.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cards are beautiful!
    Maybe you can be like Mr. McGregor of Peter Cottontail fame and keep most of the bunnies away from the veggies. Here it is the dang chipmunks that eat everything I plant. I do not have cats, but I don't discourage neighbor cats from hunting in my yard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Anne, I am actually amazed that I have been successful in the past with my veggie garden; but perhaps the time has come to start protecting my investment with some chicken wire. We have squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits and lots of birds around. And who can forget last spring when I discovered I was harbouring a family of raccoons in my attic? I still have a couple of months to come up with a plan.

    ReplyDelete