Saturday, March 16, 2019

Shopping This Week's Sales

I left the house pretty early this morning. I wanted to pick up some of this week's grocery specials. The sun was trying very hard to make an appearance, so it kind of looked warm-ish and spring-like out there. It is Saturday and I don't really enjoy doing any grocery shopping on the weekend, but I decided that if I got out there early, I might beat the weekend rush. I stopped in Amerstview first to get some things from DollarWay. It isn't a true dollar store because things cost $1.50, but I like going there because they often have things there that I can't find in other dollar stores. For instance, they still carry my 2-way tape and several other crafting materials. I spent $10.05
I knew that Shoppers was selling a dozen eggs again for $1.88 and I needed some milk, so I stopped there as well, on my way into No-Frills. I am glad I did because I found 2 containers of 2 litres of  whole  milk, with $3 off peelies. My 4 litres of milk only cost me $3.58  I picked up my 1 lb of butter here for $3.99 This was a very successful shop because not only did I save $7.22 off the regular cost, I also earned over 1000 points by buying my milk here today.

So my final stop was No-Frills and I knew they were having a sale of meat for $2 a pound. This is what I bought for $31.77
Two packages of 4 split chicken breasts, another pork loin which I will cut into more pork chops and small roasts for the crock pot, and 9 hot Italian sausage which needs to be divvied up into portion sizes. This is a lot of variety for my ideal price of $2/lb.
 Yoghurt was $2 a tub, so I picked one up. I need more starter to continue making my homemade yoghurt. I got another generic cream cheese for $2.50, because I haven't found a better price for quite some time now. My cost for dairy this week was only $15.83
Produce (fresh, frozen and canned) was only $9.94  Avocados were $2 for a bag of six. I haven't had avocados in a dog's age. What a treat!
Today I spent $67.59, leaving me with only $7.41 for the rest of March. Am I worried? No. I will probably need more vegetables before the end of the month, but I am pretty sure I will not need to spend my $20 remaining from gas money. I have over $40 in points that I can spend at either No Frills or Shoppers. I have savings in the bank and I can "borrow" against next month's groceries. I probably will not do that because I think I have a pretty tight Household budget already. I also have my "found money" in a jar here at home.

Besides shopping, I have washed two loads of laundry and hung both loads up to dry in the loft. I put my bed sheets and 2 towels in my dryer. I can't wait until I can start hanging my laundry outside once more. I will not be doing housework today. What else is new? I am making  more kid's cards to mail out to my grand kids. Have a great rest of the weekend, and to my family......enjoy your St. Paddy's Day tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. You found some great bargains! Well done on getting out and doing all your shopping early! I need to go and get a gift card and I am still sitting here, procrastinating! I am sure you'll be able to get through the rest of the month on what you have left in your budget, supplemented by your $40 in points. You've got enough eggs for your breakfasts and, with the turkey you are planning to cook this weekend, you should have plenty of meat for the next couple of weeks. Hope you have a lovely weekend, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really excited with all the bargains I found in meat and dairy. Those two categories are usually my most expensive. I am sure I can fill in my needs for berries and vegetables.

    It was a great plan to leave the house early. The stores were not busy at all, and because I was early at Shoppers, I was able to find those two marked down containers of whole milk. I put one in the freezer straight away. I left the other one in the fridge to make yoghurt again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete