Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Visiting the Grand Kids

I arrived here on Saturday afternoon. I called my son the night before to see if he would be available to drive me here (or should I take a bus), and he said he was able to drive me here at 10 AM the next morning. That was quicker than I expected, so I packed my things that night and made sure I was at the Bulk Barn first thing the following morning. I needed more almond flour to bake my keto loaves, some black pepper and some chili powder. I stopped at my pharmacy to pick up a prescription refill and my bank, before I headed back home. I drove into the driveway at 10 AM sharp and beat my son's arrival. I packed a lot of food from my freezer to bring with me, so I would have most of the items I needed for my keto diet.

It was a fairly quiet weekend because the "boys" went on another ski weekend, and the girls stayed home and played cards and board games. While my daughter has been taking my grand daughter to medical appointments, I have been walking my grandson to school. Being alone a lot through the day, I have busied myself cleaning and helping out my daughter (since I wasn't doing a very good job for myself). Today my grand daughter and I started a school project on "sound" while her mom had other matters to attend to. Over the weekend, I encouraged my daughter to take some afternoon naps while the kids and I played some games, or watched funny animal videos on the tablet. She has a lot on her plate right now, so I hope my presence is a help rather than a hindrance. I tried to cook a family meal last night, but my efforts were not well received. My chicken tasted "weird", according to my grandson. My daughter suspects it was because it wasn't chicken nuggets or chicken fingers. Lol.

It has a been a busy time but fun to be with the family. They also have bunnies in their back yard, but they are being fed by several neighbours so are very tame. I have been able to see them up close and personal. Have a great week ahead.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad your son was able to drive you there, Susan, and I am sure your daughter is finding you a blessing and a help. Just to know that there's another person there to help with what needs to be done, to give her a break as needed, has to be helpful. Too funny that your grandson thought your chicken tasted "weird". Hope you have a good week ahead with the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is a good example of my being a help. Once my daughter and my grand daughter arrived at the hospital for their appointment, it was decided that more procedures are going to be needed today. The appointment has already been several hours longer than anticipated. Father is working a 12 hour shift and is not available. Good thing Grandma is here to go get my grand son from school. One less thing for my daughter to worry about.

      Talk about weird. Mom made lentil soup for supper last night, which is my grand daughter's favourite but NOT my grandson's. He was given a choice for dinner. Have some lentil soup or have some of what Grandma made for her dinner (shredded cabbage). He was "forced" to choose the soup...no fair.

      Delete
  2. I am sure your daughter enjoyed your being there! I remember going to visit my son on weekends and helping with my grandsons (he was a single dad and had no other help) and he seemed to sleep a lot but it made me feel good to know that perhaps he would be energized to meet all the trials and tribulations coming in the following week. And it was so very enjoyable to get to have such a special time with my grandsons! Such very fond memories though it was also a harrowing time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet of you to help out your son. I am sure he appreciated having some time for rest and recuperating for the following week. You must get some special thanks on Mother's Day. Ha,ha. My son (the teacher) usually gives me a call after a day of parent teacher interviews to thank me for being his mom. And you are so right about building great relationships with your grand kids. Great times.

    ReplyDelete