Thursday, March 7, 2019

Domestic Goddess

Queen of the Domestic Arts. However you want to refer to me is fine. In other words, I did about an hour's worth of housework today. I knew something was amiss this morning when I frittered away the whole morning on my computer. It was as though I was building up stamina to doing something onerous and completely out of character. I must have sensed something in the air because about 11:30 AM, I pulled  up my rugs and scatter mats and hung them outside over the railing on the verandah. I pulled  out the vacuum cleaner and  started cleaning in the downstairs half-bathroom, moved through the computer room, the dining room, kitchen and living room, picking up things and moving furniture as I went. If that wasn't enough, I filled a bucket with very hot water and disinfectant cleaner and wet mop those same floors. I kid you not.

It is amazing how much dirt my pets have left for me in the past. I have known for some time now that I have not been feeling the need to clean as much as I have in the past. It has been almost a year now since I lost my Satchel, and no I have not felt like replacing him yet with another animal. I like this feeling of being able to take off and not need to hurry home.  However, I digress. I figured I was getting terribly lazy in my old age, or at the very least, I had lowered my standards so much, I no longer cared. But after washing all those floors, I was amazed how relatively clean my bucket still was. Now my walls are a different story, but I am hoping to get to those eventually. It must be spring fever.

I unwrapped the parcel I made for my grands yesterday and repackaged them separately today so each shirt was able to fit inside a manilla envelope. I took them back to the post office and mailed them out as oversized mail. The postage for both of them was less than half the price of the package I wanted to mail yesterday. I am so grateful to the post master for suggesting this to me. Better yet, I will have Amazon deliver if there is a next time, and get FREE shipping.

Inspired by Bless over at My Two Cents, (and not to be outdone) I also tackled my desk area. You can see where I am used to filing papers on top of my printer. Unfortunately my desk does not have nice deep drawers like Bless, so I keep my STUFF in a plastic filing bin under the desk, or in photo boxes on top of hanging book shelves, or in binders (scattered all over the house close to where I use them).  Someday I will move the old hard drive and monitor out of there to give me more writing surface, but for now I am using both computers.

Before
After




7 comments:

  1. YAY! Woo hoo! Well done on the desk clearing, Susan! LOL! I love how you have your desk set up, next to the windows, with plenty of natural light coming in!

    You are both a Domestic Goddess and Queen of the Domestic Arts! You got a LOT of cleaning done! We are all bowing down to you! LOL.

    Wow, repacking those T-shirts and sending them individually sure saved you some money! I am so glad the postmaster pointed out the lower cost alternative! And the grands are going to love receiving their individual packages! Which reminds me, I still have 2 T-shirts to embroider and send! I meant for them to be New Year's gifts, but, they'll probably go in time for our cultural New Year, which is on April 13. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you will need to add "embroider 2 t-shirts" to your mile long list for March, so you don't forget about them.

      All those papers in my before picture were cash receipts and papers that needed my attention...either to be paid, filed, or read. So I put recipes in my recipes binder, bills paid into the appropriate file folder, household receipts into a recycled envelope, and "and to be read" into a standing file on my desk. I also fed my shredder. Cleaning off the desk is not an easy chore, because it involves so much more.

      Delete
  2. You certainly got a lot of cleaning done! Your desk looks great too!!!

    That was very nice of the postmaster to point out a way to save on your package/packages. When I remember :-) I like to send gifts to my grandsons via amazon for the free shipping also. I would prefer to see them open their gifts in person but when that's not possible "free shipping" is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I DID get a lot of cleaning done. That is so unlike me. I hate housework and would rather be crafting.

    I am upset with myself over buying those shirts from Michael's, because now in this weekend's flyer, they are on for $4 a shirt. Crap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone is getting things so nice and clean. I SHOULD feel inspired . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blame it on Bless. It's her fault.

    ReplyDelete