Friday, March 8, 2019

Happy International Woman's Day

It is also my youngest grand daughter's birthday. She is turning seven today. WooHoo.

No major cleaning spurt today. I guess I fizzled out. But I did start the last day of the week by watering all of my downstairs house plants, while on the phone with my friend whose husband died from brain cancer just before Christmas. She calls me every week to stay in touch and it is so very nice to hear from her and see that she is managing very well under the circumstances. Her phone call prompted me to write out two "Thinking of You" cards....one for my mother and the other for my husband's cousin who is dealing with cancer. I try to send a homemade card once every two weeks. It was another clear sunny day, so I walked them to the post office. When I returned I spent the rest of the afternoon working on some hand embroidery on the pillow cases.

Bless over at My Two Cents mentioned that her messy desk represented items that needed attention. Likewise, the papers on my desk were papers that needed filing, reading, or recording. Some papers I had printed out (recipes, patterns, craft ideas, etc.) had to be put into page protectors and put into the appropriate binders. Some of it was mail that I wanted to read and some were bills that had already been paid and dated but had yet to be filed. Some of the bits of paper were cash receipts that needed to be recorded and put away into an envelope.
This is just a used envelope I have recycled for the month of March. At the top is the amount of cash I have on hand for household expenses. Each time I spend money, I deduct the oop from the balance that is left, and place the cash receipt inside. The money stays in my wallet, but I keep the receipts together. Hopefully, the amount showing at the bottom of the column is in fact the amount in my wallet. It is.

The other column is a little confusing. I took out $60 for gas this month, but needed to deposit $40 back into my account the other day. Oopsie. Not to worry. I spent a $25 gift card on gas and still have $20 remaining if I need it.

Meals This Week (last Friday to Thursday)

Dirty rice (made with cauli rice)
A HUGE Cobb salad for my birthday lunch, then later in the evening, leftover dirty rice
Pork chops, creamed spinach and sauteed cabbage
Leftover pork chop, cabbage and broccoli
Meatloaf with a veggie casserole topped with cheddar cheese
Encore presentation (leftovers from the night before)
Sliced dinner ham with veggies in a cream cheese sauce

I should probably mention here that veggie casseroles are usually "above ground" varieties that include some of broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, spinach, green beans, zucchini and red or yellow peppers. If I cook turnip, carrots, asparagus, Brussel sprouts or cabbage, I will usually refer to them specifically.

 Hope you all enjoy a wonderful weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday (belated) to your granddaughter!

    I think you did enough cleaning, yesterday, to carry you over the weekend, at the very least! Glad to hear your friend is doing well after her husband's death.

    I like your way of keeping accounts on the back of the envelope and having the month's receipts in the envelope. Everything is neatly contained and you can check the receipts if you need to. You did well with your meals, this week.

    I hope you have a lovely weekend, Susan. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortunately, I do well with my menus because I only have ingredients in the house that I can eat. Sometimes I just feel like there isn't enough variety. One of my yearly goals was to expand my recipe files, which I am working on; but it is really convenient to slip back into a rotation that is quick and easy. I need to put some of my new recipes into the rotation. I may find some new favourites.

    ReplyDelete