Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Spending Some Birthday Money

I have already mentioned that I received several gift cards for my birthday. I was so spoiled rotten. One of them was for my favourite department store, Giant Tiger. Since I was in Napanee on Saturday with my friends for my birthday luncheon, I decided to check out the store there. Sugardale bacon was on sale for $3.33 a package so I picked up two. I like to cook up the whole package and then freeze it so I always have some already cooked and ready to add to a recipe. I also bought my favourite black socks and some Hanes panties. My total came to $21.92, but there was no oop and I still have $8.08 remaining. It was such a treat.

While coming up with my mile long to-do list for the month of March, I recalled one of the podcasts I listened to back a few weeks ago. It was about setting goals and accomplishing more. Besides writing down the goal, you are supposed to consider what you need in order to do the next step. With that in mind, I asked myself what I would need in order to work on the scrapbook. Since it has been so long since I have done any scrap booking, I wondered about my page layouts. I checked out many different sites and pinned some ideas on my Pinterest page. I have lots of different 12x12 inch patterned papers, but I am sorely lacking in blank 12 inch card stock. So yesterday I used the remainder of another gift card I received at Christmas to go to Michael's and I bought a Recollections neutral paper pad.
Also in the photo, I paid $2 for a rubber stamp that says "A baby fills our hearts with love", 2 white pre-shrunk cotton t-shirts and the padded envelope to send them  to my two grand kids in Bradford. Next week is their March break and they can tie dye these shirts. I paid $14.25 oop after using the balance of the gc.

While in the same mall, I went over to Home Depot and bought some pine lumber.....1x2, 1x3, and 1x4 in 8 foot lengths. I can pick an afternoon when I can prime them. The  total came to $18.09, which I could have paid with the remainder of a gift card I had for over $22, but I couldn't find it in my purse. Darn it! So I paid out of my household money. I have since found the gift card, so I can use it in future.
From there I drove to No Frills where I bought lean ground beef for $2.77 a pound and three 450 gm blocks of Armstrong cheese. The total came to $33.52 and I used a $25 gift card, so only $8.50 oop.
I divvied the lean ground beef into eight pound portions for the freezer when I got home.
On the way back, I stopped at Shoppers because I needed milk and I hoped the cottage cheese would be on sale. It was, but I only bought one for $2.49. I also used a coupon to pick up a FREE full size Colgate PRO-relief sensitive toothpaste.
I used the remainder of a gift card for some toiletries I needed and paid the $7.78 oop for my milk and cottage cheese.

Even though I used a lot of gift cards, I have used up a lot of my $300 household money. Paying oop at Michael's, Home Depot and Canada Post has reduced my balance to $115.75 (I bought a padded envelope and 50 postage stamps) I think I am still in pretty good shape. I have lots of meat and veggies still in my freezer. I have $40 in points that I can spend at No Frills or Shoppers. My niece gave me some eggs from her chickens when she visited. I made another batch of yoghurt this morning, which will see me through this week. I'm not worried. And I have lots of things to keep me busy and happy. Hope you are all staying warm. We had another big dump of snow today.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for gift cards! You've reminded me that I have 2 gift cards I received last year, to a department store, that I need to use! Well done on all the shopping, Susan. Too bad you couldn't find the gc to Home Depot, but, glad you found it later. As you said, you can use it for another project! Of course, now I am curious what you are going to do with all that wood you bought!

    It sounds like you will be able to do quite well with the money that is remaining in your household budget. You have enough supplies for your projects, enough stamps to mail out your cards, and enough food in the freezer to keep you going. :) You stay warm, too, and be careful when out shoveling that snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a doctor's appointment this afternoon, so I drove in a little early to spend my remaining $8 at the Giant Tiger downtown. I also put $25 gas in my vehicle using yet another gift card that I received at my birthday. I could get quite used to spending other peoples' money. I have taken advantage of every card. You will need to check the sales flyers for that particular department store to get the most for your gift cards. Maybe something for the house?

    ReplyDelete