Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Another Wet Wednesday After a Spendy Tuesday


Yesterday I was out in the morning spending money. I went to the Dollar Tree and spent $11.30 on craft supplies. I put $50 worth of gas in my van. I picked up two prescription refills that I called in earlier in the morning. (no OOP) I picked up a few groceries from Food Basics.
 Meat and dairy cost $26.08  Lean ground beef was $2.88/lb., cheese was $3.88 each 450 gm block, whole milk yoghurt was $1.74, kielbasa was $4.99 and cottage cheese was $2.99
Produce cost $29.33  Cauliflower was $1.98 each. I paid $5 for 12 avocados. I bought frozen blueberries, 2 pkgs. of mushrooms, 4 sweet peppers, 3 green zucchini and 3 sweet potatoes.
Total expenditure was $59.90 because I also picked up 2 more gallons of white vinegar to make more homemade weed killer and a small can of tomato paste. (not shown) Last night I fried four hamburgers and wrapped them in romaine leaves instead of buns. I also had a side of cottage cheese. Today's lunch was the same.

This morning was hot and humid and sunny. Now that I am preparing dinner, a few thunderstorms have passed through our area, bringing lots of drenching rain again. I hope that means cooler temperatures coming.

Bless has made me see another way of breaking up my day and getting things done, since I don't seem to do well with setting goals. She suggested that I spend an hour a day pulling weeds (if weather permitted). Well I quickly discovered that one hour wasn't enough time outdoors with the amount of work that needs doing, so I have been going out for two hours and accomplishing quite a lot. I took it another step further today. I decided I would do housework for one hour a day, crafting for one hour and working in the kitchen for one hour. I can work from a list, or not. This seems to work because as long as I do something for that time allotted, it is bound to make some kind of difference.

This morning found me outside pulling weeds from the driveway again. When I tired of that, I went to the front flower bed and pulled some from there as well.  I pulled more cornflowers from my lawn. I used up half a gallon of my homemade weed killer on the gravel areas that I had worked on this morning. I may be all over the place, but by spending two hours pulling weeds it has to make a difference over all.

I came in for lunch and some iced tea while talking with "Dee" on Facebook Messaging. Then I marked the time and began doing housework. I cleaned my half bath here downstairs by washing the sink vanity and toilet, vacuumed the walls and floor before washing the floor. Then I vacuumed the kitchen and dining room floors. I tackled the cabinet that the fish aquarium sat on and put it outside (never to come inside again). I may put it on the side of the road with "free" on it and see if someone will take it. I also emptied a corner cabinet that sat beside that and moved it out away from the wall. I vacuumed the walls and floor and scrubbed  underneath both of those cabinets. I moved the corner cabinet back in after washing the shelves and moved a wing backed chair into the space where the aquarium used to sit. All of this took closer to two hours instead of one, but I gave myself permission to STOP, since I had done my hour's work.
One of these days I will have to learn HOW to take photos with my tablet. I can't seem to get the auto focus to work when I want it to. Oh well.

My hour crafting was kind of disappointing because I didn't accomplish anything. ( ie.I didn't produce a card.)  However, I stamped some fall images and coloured them with my new alcohol markers and made notes about the different colours I used so I won't forget when it comes time to colouring them in the future. So I got to play even if I don't have a finished project today.

2 comments:

  1. Well done, Susan!

    You did very well with the grocery shopping, I think. Your ground beef price was lower than what I've been paying here, and that is an excellent price for cheese, I think. I've been thinking of cutting back on carbs, myself, but I don't think I could eliminate them altogether, now (I did that once, a long time ago, and lost a lot of weight). But I am watching how you are doing it and am feeling inspired (but, obviously, not enough to give up my bread!)

    And you did very well with how you divided up your time between gardening, housework and crafting! You accomplished a lot, even if the whole garden isn't completely weeded, and the whole house isn't completely cleaned, and you didn't produce a finished card at the end of your hour of crafting! That's a huge amount of housework you accomplished in the 2 hours!

    That area of the room with the corner cabinet and wing chair looks very cozy! I like the corner cabinet, very much; What do you store on the corner cabinet shelves?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I change out the corner shelves from time to time and throughout the seasons. For a while I pinned a piece of pleated fabric across the bottom 2 shelves to hide "stuff" behind. At Christmas, I decorate with my collection of angels or Christmas ceramics. I have a whole collection of owls that I display once in a while. Right now only the top shelf has some different souvenirs from trips I have made. I am in no hurray to fill the shelves right now because I am thinking that if and when I move to an apartment, I may need to store dishes/wine glasses in there. I don't really know, so I will just leave them bare for now. I am not planning on moving for quite a while but I am still purging and considering uses for different pieces of furniture that I do have.

    It is funny that I can work for two hours doing something and not have an end result for my efforts. But I can see that things are getting done in that time frame.

    ReplyDelete