Friday, August 3, 2018

Day 2: From Seaside to Reedsport





After a continental breakfast and a leisurely morning at the hotel, we packed up the car again and headed down the Oregon coastal highway just a little ways to Cannon Beach and Haystack Rock. 






 Indulge me here while I post a couple of photos of garden flowers. These beauties grew everywhere you laid your eyes. I have always loved the blue hydrangeas, but these red flowers (which I don't know the name of) seemed to grow wild. They are lovely.

 Cannon Beach...I took this photo because I was intrigued by these bikes that were available to rent, and a lot of people did. It was overcast and windy this morning, so some people wore jackets. It was not cold.
 Early in the trip I was trying to take close up pictures with my tablet. It was later that I realized I was better off not trying to get close-ups but instead take a picture and then crop it for a closer look. So you will have to suffer some pretty blurry photos taken by me.

Haystack Rock                             

 
 At the base of Haystack Rock, there were lots of sea life to photograph. 
              




Here is a gorgeous photo taken by my grand daughter which shows the orange starfish, the green anenomies and various seaweed.  The tide was coming back in at this point, so we got back in the car and proceeded on the rest of our trip.

Next scenic stop

 

 By this time the sun had come out and it was pretty hot. One of the places that my son wanted to go to was the Tillamook Cheese factory. Since it was hot and extremely crowded and youngest grand daughter had fallen asleep in the car after that long walk on Cannon Beach, only my son went inside. He bought some cheese curd and beef jerky to bring back to the car and reported that the "tour" was self guided, so we were all satisfied that we didn't miss anything. Besides, we all benefited from the best part (fresh cheese and jerky).


Our next stop was Depoe Bay.






It is something about the waves that make me take far too many pictures of water. I do it all the time. Notice the caves in the rock along the shoreline. I fell in love with this shoreline....rugged coast and beautiful beaches here in Oregon. I bought so many postcards.

Our next stop was a lookout at Siletz Bay.






We took this opportunity to walk down to the beach to stretch our legs.




 My grand daughter decided she would climb up the rock to get some different photos, but I am still waiting for her to pass them on to me. *hint, hint*



The last stop before Reedsport was at Florence where we took photos of the Heceta Head lighthouse near the sea lion caves. We did not go to see those caves as we were anxious to get to our final destination for the night. Besides that, I think those may be sea lions down on the rocks in the foreground. I didn't notice them until later that evening when I was going through my pictures.

 Our hotel this night was lovely. It had a main open sitting room/kitchen with separate alcove with a twin bed for my older grand daughter. Poor thing had been forced to sleep with her grandma the night before, so now she had her own separate bed. My younger grand daughter and I shared one of the queen beds in the bedroom and my son had the other queen bed. There was no pool or A/C at this hotel but the rooms and the continental breakfast more than made up for that. It was definitely a better night's sleep. The temperatures get quite chilly once the sun goes down.

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful coastline! Thank you for sharing your pictures, Susan! I love seeing pictures of the sea and waves!

    The red flowers are crocosmia. I have some growing in my garden, although mine have orange flowers. They grow from bulbs, so you might be able to plant them in your garden, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to go to Oregon and your gorgeous pictures just reinforced that! So beautiful. It must have been another long day in the car for you guys, though, but so worth it!

    On a side note, I love your sandals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to plan a trip driving along that coastal highway, although I have also heard that the coastal railway is also spectacular. I would want to be able to get out and explore a little. I think you would too.

      Funny story about my sandals. I took a white pair and my black gladiator sandals. While still in Vancouver and taking a walk one day, not too far from my son's place I literally walked right out of my sandals. The sole came off and only the vamp was strapped to my foot. Mind you they were a cheap pair of shoes, but I never saw anything like this before. I went back to the house, changed into the white sandals, and my DIL drove me to the nearest mall to a shoe store to buy another pair of black sandals. It seemed that everything was 30% off that day, so I chose a pair of bearpaws. It turns out they were the only shoe that wasn't on sale that day, but I bought them anyways because they were so comfortable and I didn't want another cheap shoe considering all the walking that we might be doing on the trip.

      Delete
  3. I will have to look in the plant catalogues for these flowers. They would need to be dug up in the fall but again most summer bulbs do. I thought these flowers were gorgeous. How do they fare in your drier climate?

    I fell in love with the Oregon shoreline, but I am told by my new DIL that the California coastline is equally up to the challenge. I guess I will have to go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over here, the crocosmia bulbs stay in the ground, year round. They come up in late winter/early spring and flower before it gets too hot. Then, the leaves turn brown and we cut them off. Very easy care plants, as far as I am concerned.

      Delete