Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Rolling With the Punches

After writing my Daybook on Monday and expressing my motivation to keep on track with my daily goals of  balancing yard work with housework with crafting, etc. things kind of ended up sideways, as they often do. I did do my two hours pulling weeds (probably a little more than two hours) and I also had a long "over the back yard fence" visit with a next door neighbour. By the time I got inside and had lunch, it was 2 in the afternoon, and I just could not keep my eyes open. I had planned to wash some windows and I needed to do some grocery shopping, but instead I took a 3 hour nap on the sofa.  No, it did not stop me from going to sleep that night at my usual time.

Yesterday morning I left the house by 9 AM to pick up some groceries and get that out of the way. It was supposed to rain AGAIN, and I wanted to beat the downpour.
Frozen produce cost $30.00  $11 for each 2kg bag of frozen berries, and $2 for each bag of "no name" veggies.
Fresh veggies cost $10.13  (6 avocados, 2 green zucchini, 2 yellow, and another package of 4 sweet peppers)
Dairy was only $30.10  I bought 3 (450 gm) blocks of cheese for $3.77 each and 8 (500 gm) containers of plain yoghurt for only 33 cents each. Dairy is usually my largest expenditure.
Meat cost $15.00  Pork loin was $1.44 a pound and I also picked up 3 chicken legs with backs attached.

I bought another 2 gallons of vinegar for $3.94, bringing my total bill to 89.17  I used $60 worth of points and only had to pay $29.17 OOP. I got home before it started pouring rain and was eating my 2 egg omelet by 10:30   I wasn't feeling great, and because of all the sleep I had the night before, I think I had some kind of bug. So I gave myself permission to craft for the rest of the day. I made a masculine birthday card and 4 Fall-themed cards.  I did cut up the pork loin into roasts and pork chops for the freezer and this morning the chicken legs are in the crock pot, but I am still feeling kind of "draggy", so I don't know what the day will bring. I still do not have my push mower. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you are not feeling too well, Susan. But glad you took it easy and rested. Maybe you've been pushing yourself a bit too much? Especially if you've been pulling weeds when it was hot, you might have got a touch of heat exhaustion. Try to take it easy, today, too.

    You got some good bargains at the grocery store, especially the yogurt. Well done with using points to pay for some of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt a little nauseous through the day yesterday, so you may be right about over-extending myself in the heat pulling weeds. It was overcast yesterday anyway, and later in the afternoon and evening it rained some more. Today I felt much better, though not 100%. I was able to pick up my lawn mower and do some of the lawns. The grass was so long, the mower basically knocked the grass over on its side. Tomorrow, I should be able to tackle it a second time and do a better job of it. The mower constantly stalled on me throughout the afternoon but I was able to restart it each time until it finally conked out on me. I let the machine rest for 30 minutes and it fired up again. I continued until it gave up the ghost a second time. I won't work on it anymore until tomorrow. We both need a rest.

    ReplyDelete