Thursday, August 30, 2018

Medical Orders

I went yesterday (Wednesday) to LifeLabs to have blood drawn. Each time I go, the technician always reminds me not to do any heavy lifting for a few hours afterwards. So I asked half-jokingly if that included mowing the lawn as I planned to do that after I got back home. She answered with "yes, that includes mowing the lawn", seriously. I was very surprised, but since they were medical orders I obediently complied. All that to say, I did nothing yesterday. I face messaged my oldest son in Vancouver (and youngest grand daughter), my daughter and her two kids who had just returned from shopping for new school clothes and shoes, my sister, and "Dee". Between conversations I worked on designing some Halloween cards because before I know it, Fall will be upon us and I will need to send them out shortly after our Thanksgiving weekend. I would like to have them finished and addressed by then. I forgot to mention that the other night when I was out for dinner for a friend's birthday, I made $20 from the sale of some blank all-occasion cards and a few thank you cards. (It paid for dinner). 

This morning when I woke up at 6:30 and took the garbage out to the curb, I noticed that it was downright chilly outside...perfect working outside weather. So after coffee and breakfast I headed out at 9:45 and worked until noon pulling weeds from all three front flower beds, and then I pruned back hard my white snowball hydrangea. As I pulled weeds, I also transplanted some of my perennials into large pots so they will have a good start before I give them away on Thanksgiving weekend (which is a little over a month away) I am giving away some "snow-in-summer", Pasque flower, pink spirea,  and some mauve coloured bee balm.  I must have spent 2 full hours on the flower bed at the end of the driveway. This is one I couldn't get to last summer and I didn't have enough mulch to put down last Fall, so it was in terrible shape overall and needed a tremendous amount of work. I have over $50 in loyalty  points at Canadian Tire, so I hope I can pick up some mulch with that, unless it is too late in the season.  I still have some pruning to do in the front yard, but I think I will move on to the back gardens to do some weeding there.

After lunch I made an encouragement card for a friend and then moved on to making more Halloween themed cards. At 3:30 I felt that the back lawn had a full day of sun and breezy conditions that it was dried up enough to mow. It sure grew a lot in only a week, but we had a LOT of rain as well. I'm not getting a lot of domestic chores done this week, but what else is new?
Some Halloween cards for the kids. The gargoyle is my favourite so far. It has 4 layers of dimension and really sticks out from the page. The bat and the crow have small red jewels for eyes. 

4 comments:

  1. I love your Halloween cards! Such lovely work you do. Sounds like you had a very busy day tidying up the outdoors. It is always best to abide by medical orders! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana. I enjoy making them for the "kids" in my life. They are old enough now that I don't bother sending cutsey ones. They like "scarey".

      I was outside again today pulling weeds and moving plants in the back yard. There is a lot of tidying up I need to do. However, today was warmer again and very muggy. The mosquitoes were out in full force, so I think I only spent an hour outside. It was enough.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I am so glad you followed the medical orders! I wish I lived closer to you so I could ask for some of the plants you are giving away! Your Halloween cards are wonderful! I like the skull and the crow the best, I think. Hope you have a good day, Susan. Don't overdo things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. You and Diana both caught my "tongue in cheek" compliance to medical orders. My daughter, on the other hand, asked if the technician thought I was a "wuss". She said that obviously they don't know me. Anyways, I took it as a very good reason to leave the mowing until another day, and I obliged. It was more fun to make Halloween cards.

      Delete