Friday, August 17, 2018

Day 3: From Reedsport to Sunny California

Today is not conducive to working outdoors weeding because of MORE rain, so I am using my time to sort through more of my holiday photos. In Reedsport, after a relaxing morning and a yummy continental breakfast included in the cost of the room, we headed out to the sand dunes.
 We rented a 4 seat dune buggy. I took a photo of one other that we saw on the dunes, but I don't have a picture of ours without us in it. The top photo doesn't even look real but I can assure you it is. The sand is that white and the sky was that blue. That is the back of my son's helmet in the second photo.


It is really windy here and the sands are constantly moving. What sometimes looks like a blurry picture is actually blowing fine sand. We are driving up to the crest of a sand dune here.

This looks more like a winter scene. I couldn't drive because  I only had sandals. But that was okay because I could take all these wonderful photos, and a whole lot more, from the back of the open dune buggy. Everyone had to wear a helmet, goggles or sun glasses, and a sweater or light jacket to protect against the bright white blowing sands. We rented for one hour but the time just slipped away very quickly. It was SO much fun.    
My 6 year old grand daughter wrote about her experiences in her journal.  If you have an opportunity, you should totally do this.                 
When we hit the coastal highway again we followed the gorgeous shoreline for most of the afternoon. 







The highway closely followed the shoreline before it wandered into lush redwood forests.


 We took a small detour to go through Chandelier tree, which is one of the trees you can actually drive a car through. The line moved through fairly quickly and on the other side was a touist shop where we could buy snacks, drinks, souvenirs and use the facilities. This was our last stop before we reached Sebastopol and our airbnb.




Passing through the tree, I took a photo up through the the bottom of the trunk from the skylight.
I also took a picture of another car coming through behind us.    

2 comments:

  1. I must say you know how to travel, turning the journey into an adventure, as well! Your granddaughters are going to have so much to share when they go back to school and are asked, "What did you do on your summer holidays?" I've never seen the redwoods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was indeed my son's family holiday. They were taking the kids to Disney Land this summer and incorporating his brother's wedding into the trip, with all of us staying 3 days at the airbnb in Sebastopol. My plan had been to fly into San Francisco for the 3 days and fly right back home afterwards. They would continue their vacation at Disney. Those plans were postponed when his wife was diagnosed and treated for cancer. So you are right, we did make the most of the journey down. We did a few things on the trip that one might not ordinarily do if just driving through.I benefited most by spending 3 weeks with my son and my two grand daughters instead of 3 days and I got to see all these wonderful places I would have missed by flying straight in and straight out again.

    ReplyDelete