Friday, August 24, 2018

Week-end Plans

Today I was back to normal, feeling more like myself. I basically followed my schedule of 2 hours outdoors, 1 hour doing "domestic stuff", and an hour in the kitchen. There was no crafting, but I sort of made up for the lack of it today by making cards and colouring in stamped images over the past two days when I wasn't feeling up to par. I still have to make another birthday card for next week and a card for my youngest grand daughter out in Vancouver who will be going into grade one on September 4th. I made two for my grand kids in Bradford, so today I wrote them each a note inside so I could take them to the Post Office on my way into Kingston.  While at the Post Office, I picked up a parcel from Amazon which has arrived earlier than expected. This is great because I have invited my son and my DIL for dinner on Sunday and he will be able to install it for me and get the menu set up so I can watch Netflix, Amazon Prime and You Tube on my television screen. I may never leave my couch again. Haha.

I hadn't planned on going into town today, but I decided I needed to buy more groceries for the company I am expecting this weekend.  First of all, my friend is showing up tomorrow with his BIL and his son from Ottawa to help me clean things up around the yard. Hopefully they will take down half of the tree in the backyard that is falling down. One main trunk is dead and has split away from the other trunk. One strong wind could easily bring it down and perhaps take my neighbour's fence with it, causing a lot of damage. My friend wants to finish the work he started on my front stoop before he was called away for surgery and more radiation. In case you are wondering where my priorities lay, several people (including his wife) have assured me that this work is therapeutic for my friend. He wants to do this to help me. The very least I can do for him is to feed him tomorrow. So today I picked up some bread (I don't have any in the house) and some sandwich fixings, as well as some cold soft drinks to offer them. Whatever is left over, I can send home with them.
The 2 liter bottles were on sale for 95 cents each and the bread was only $1.76
Meat cost me $33.42  I bought Italian sausage, 2 trays of chicken thighs and 2 packages of lunch meat. I repackaged the sausage and one tray of chicken thighs into smaller serves for the freezer, but I am cooking one of the trays of chicken on Sunday for dinner.
I bought more cottage cheese and 2 containers of Feta cheese for a total of $13.74
I paid $3 for the bag of brussels sprouts (not on sale, but I wanted them) but only 96 cents for each head of cauliflower....so I bought six. I paid $8.76 for produce. I paid a total of $59.83 and took out $40 in cash for the weekend. My friend said he might have to buy a new $20 blade for his saw, so I will reimburse him.

I grated 4 of those lovely cauliflower into cauliflower rice, broke up the other two into florets for the freezer and kept the bits and pieces of cauliflower from grating, for future soups.
Speaking of soups, I made a big batch of chicken veggie soup first thing this morning with the broth I made from cooking the 3 chicken legs, with backs attached, in the crock pot on Wednesday. I used most of the cooked meat to make a chicken stir fry over fried cauliflower rice on Wednesday night, with enough left over to have it again last night. I added the remaining chicken  and some cauliflower rice to the soup this morning. Mmmm yummy. The cauliflower rice made it a very hearty soup with lots of vegetables. Most of my "domestic stuff" was spent shopping and in the kitchen, but it still counts.

How did I spend my two hours out of doors?  Well, I mowed the front lawn again and I removed four huge wheel barrow loads of sod from the front lawn. It was a lot of hard work in the sun. I am not sure exactly what my friend has in mind to finish off the front stoop, but I know he wanted the sod removed (and maybe some dirt) to lay down the gravel that is still sitting in the driveway. So now we have a head start on the project. If he wants more of the dirt removed, I can do that before we lay down the weed barrier. I think it is going to look really nice with the 6x6 timbers and the one step up to the decking.  I will probably have a picture tomorrow of the finished project.



2 comments:

  1. Wow, Susan, you did a lot! I'm glad to see that you are feeling better! I'm sure your friend and his crew of family will appreciate you providing them with lunch. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the garden, once it is done. It's going to look lovely, I'm sure.

    I might have mentioned this before, but my daughter has tried cauliflower rice and likes it. I haven't tried it, but you are making me curious about it. Maybe, one of these days, I'll try it, myself. Do you steam it to cook it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the work I did yesterday did not prepare me for all the work (physical labour) that I did today. I am so sore.

      Yes I steam the "rice" to cook it, but I usually make fried rice with the portion. It is so-o-o good, with some sesame oil, green onions, garlic, ginger, a few frozen peas, and two eggs mixed through.

      Delete