Monday, August 6, 2018

Daybook: Monday, August 6/18

Outside my window.....it is sunny and very warm. There is a breeze but not very cooling. The young family of robins (mother and one baby) left the nest in my hanging planter on Saturday, so yesterday I took both planters down, pruned away all the dead plants and removed the dead leaves and then applied gallons of water to soak the soil well. I left the nest with one unhatched egg inside because one of the geraniums had grown through the nest permanently embedding the nest inside my planter. The only things left alive are the Martha Washington geraniums. The petunias are finished and I am hoping the trailing vines will come back.

I am thinking.....of dinner last night with my Middle son and his wife. I gave them my wedding card and gift of money and my son took care of the few items I had on my list. He told me in no uncertain terms that I need to get a new computer. He found a laptop at Best Buy that will only cost $350 including taxes and will be enough to suit my needs.

I am thankful for..... working equipment that is very old but still has kept up with me. If it doesn't all break down on me at once, I should be able to replace or repair these things in due course.

From the kitchen.....I was able to get quite a lot done this weekend.  I cleaned  the aquarium, hood,  filters and other aquarium accessories in a solution of warm vinegar and a glass scraper to remove all the hard water calcium deposits that had built up. That was another huge accomplishment. I made another trip to No-Frills this weekend to spend $50 more in free groceries with my Optimum points. I shredded and sauteed one of the heads of cabbage and froze both containers for later in the week. I fried a pound of ground meat and divvied that into two containers to combine with the shredded cabbage. I prepared the moussaka for dinner last night at the stove, but baked it outside in the electric roaster. I made a green salad and prepared a keto dressing. My new diet is labour intensive so it does require a lot of time in the kitchen washing, peeling and chopping veggies.  Long gone are the days of making a hot dog in a bun or having a sandwich or a bowl of cereal when I feel hungry.

I am wearing.....tan capris, a short sleeved brown button down shirt, no socks, and my hair up.

I am creating.....more all occasion cards in my future. Some of my friends like receiving birthday cards because they use them often. Others have asked specifically for Thank Yous, Congrats, Get Well and Thinking of You cards as those are the ones they need to buy. They tend to send birthday greetings on-line or by phone. I made a wedding card this week that was 5" x 7", larger than my usual A2 size. It was a nice departure.

I am going.....nowhere today. The temperature is comfortable inside. Today is a Civic holiday, so everything is closed anyways. I don't need to go out.

I am hoping.....to accomplish a lot from my massive To-Do list this week. Some of it is indoor work and lots are outdoor projects. It seems lately that everything this week that I have started to do remains only partly finished. Nothing seems completed.

I am hearing.....the portable A/C unit is on and I have a table fan blowing across me at the computer.

Around the house.....I started the vacuuming downstairs but only managed to do the kitchen and dining room. I never got around to wet mopping those floors and before I do, I will need to vacuum them up again. I drained and took the aquarium apart and washed the pieces, but I have yet to empty the cabinet stand and get rid of it from the living room. I did manage four loads of laundry, including the comforter from my bed that has been waiting to go into storage since Spring, hung those out on the line and folded and put away. Yay me! I did ONE project from start to finish. Oh, and I did finish the wedding card, but if it wasn't for the fact that my son was invited for dinner last night, it would still be missing the printed sentiment inside. Ha. I started washing one of my three bathrooms, but didn't finish it. I sorted through the Blue Box recycling, but not the Gray Box. I took out the garbage but not the kitchen compost. And so it goes. Only half completed chores, as I rush around like a chicken with its head chopped off.  And then there are the photos from my trip. Ugh.

One of my favourite things.....is air conditioning. What can I say?  I really, really appreciate having it. 

A few plans for the rest of the week.....include finishing up my posts about my latest trip and to give a great stab at my ever growing list of must-dos. This coming week-end is my annual girls' weekend. We are leaving Friday night for Merrickville, outside of Ottawa.  I am looking forward to reconnecting with my girl friends.

Here's the picture I am sharing.....
Remember I told you earlier this week that I had to clean the filter on my outdoor pond because it was so clogged up. Well this is not even a week later and look at the algae on that filter again. I really need to clean this pool well but it will have to take a back seat again for a while. You should see my weeds. But I won't show you because it is demoralizing.

2 comments:

  1. You sound a little overwhelmed, Susan. I wish I could tell you to slow down, but I know how you feel, because there's just so much to be done and it all needs doing right away!

    You will find that the algae on the pond filter growing faster because of the heat. What happens to the pond when it gets to be winter? Does it freeze over? What happens to the fish?

    I don't have a pond and filter to clean of algae growth. What I have are indoor furniture with horizontal surfaces that accumulate "barnacles" in the form of piles of paper and other clutter!!! I set up the ironing board to iron the sari blouses, the other day and a week later, there's the iron on top of it, Dancer's "lovey" which is a scarf I knitted, which is his security blanket (I washed it and put it up there, to be out of his reach - he likes to drag it around the house and I didn't want any flea eggs to get on it), the award plaque I received at work (which I brought out to show my friend when she visited on Saturday) and a tote bag of papers that I dumped there after today's appointment with the financial planner! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Bless. I did respond to this comment yesterday, but I don't know where it went. It was probably my fault. I may not have hit the publish button.

    Anyways, I said that I was impressed that the only "barnacles" you had growing at your house were those little piles you mentioned. Every one of my surfaces is covered with clutter AND dust. The only thing that was cleared off yesterday morning was the dining room table which was still set up for having dinner on Sunday night. That situation has since changed.

    I normally bring my fish inside to the aquarium, but this year I am not going to set it up inside. The pond does freeze over naturally, so we will see if the fish do survive. I know that frogs have hibernated down in the mud and debris at the bottom of the pond, and my water plants come back year after year. So we will see.

    ReplyDelete