Monday, January 7, 2019

Daybook: Monday, Jan 7/19

This morning began as one of those days that do not go as planned.  I intended to call my Cable company and then visit my friend who lost her husband recently.  I made an early call before 9 AM but the wait was lonnnng.   I received an on-line bill yesterday from my cable company for more than double my monthly bill. The accounts representative did nothing for me except to explain that the overages were for excess usage this past month.  I explained that my usage had not increased, and she needed to connect me with someone who could explain what happened. Each time I was transferred to another department, I was put into another long  queue and had to go through the same security protocol each time. The second person thought that perhaps someone was stealing my signal. (I had a new router installed one month ago)  He got me the number for the manufacturer and offered to take the overages off my bill. Yay! Then I was transferred to a third department where I arranged to have Wifi brought to my house. A technician will arrive on Thursday to set me up and make my system more secure. It will cost me nothing more than I am paying now.  She also took off the cost of the set-up. I called the number I was given for the new router that was installed and she walked me through HOW to change my network and my password. It was all Greek to me, but somehow I muddled through. I honestly can say that no-one knows my password, so indeed I have no idea how anyone could hack into my network or how it is that my network became insecure. But once the Wifi is set up, I will closely monitor my usage on-line to see if I need to upgrade my service. But according to the second representative I talked to at the Cable company, my usage WAS minimal until just the past month. Finally, I had to go into each of my other devices to change the network and password on those. I didn't get to eat lunch until after 2:30 PM.  I have called and texted my friend but have not heard from her yet.

Outside my window.....it is overcast and minus 4 degrees Celsius. There are snow flurries in the forecast, though they have not started yet.

I am thinking.....that at 3:30 PM, it is already feeling dark and I am feeling drained again.

I am thankful for.....the two wonderful service people I talked to this morning.

From the kitchen.....I sliced up the 4 lbs. of peameal bacon and both large pork loin roasts into mostly pork chops and two roasts of pork to put in the freezer.

I am wearing.....black jeans, a royal blue long sleeved t-shirt and an ivory coloured cable cardigan.

I am creating.....hopefully, some cards this week. I used up all the bits and pieces of cotton that I used in the Fall to create knit dishcloths as gifts, to knit up a cloth for myself.

I am going....nowhere today. I didn't even make it to the Post Office this afternoon.

I am hoping.....we are not in for a big snow storm anytime soon.

I am hearing.....the quiet. The school kids have already walked past and it is still a little early for rush hour traffic coming home from work.

Around the house.....it is still looking a lot like Christmas, though the lights have not been turned on since New Year's Day.

One of my favourite things.....this past weekend has been my paper shredder. I am slowly getting rid of excess papers from my filing folders and binders. I use up the shredded paper in my garden composter and as mulch in my flower beds.

A few plans for the rest of the week....include a visit to my friend and face time messages to family members. I do not have a medical appointment this week.

  • take down all the indoor decorations and put in storage    Done
  • take down the tree and put in storage    Done
  • accomplish this week's 10 minute decluttering tasks and perhaps most of the last two weeks
  • start journaling again in my composition book     every day
  • make at least 5 cards    Done
  • embroider my mom's name on her  birthday gift and get it into the mail   Done
  • send off at least 3 "Thinking of You" cards  Done
  • moisturize every night     every night
  • lipstick every morning      every day
Here is the picture I am sharing.....
My new dish cloth and my weekly 10 minute tasks.

2 comments:

  1. Well done on getting your cable bill sorted out! Time well spent, I'm sure! I'm so impressed that you were able to change your network and password! I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to go about that! I leave all that to my daughter! That was the condition on which we got cable! Because I didn't want cable and didn't have it for years! Finally got it only because my daughter begged for it. And then, of course, in less than a year after we got cable, she moved out! LOL!

    You had a productive day, between straightening out your cable bill, knitting a dishcloth, and slicing up all that meat! Oh, and I found out what peameal bacon was! I did a search for it! Not at all what I thought it was! LOL!

    Hope you have a wonderful week, Susan. Take care not to overdo things with your smashed thumb and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm...no, I didn't knit a dishcloth yesterday. It took me the better part of three nights to knit up that little bit of cotton yarn. I am not a knitter and watching me work would be agonizing for you Bless. *laugh* But I try. And apparently, practice makes perfect.

    But yes, I was able to change the network and password on all my devices, but don't ask me how I did it. I am just amazed that the whole of yesterday was taken up with "calling the cable company and sorting things out". Glad it is done though.

    My thumb is much improved. I still feel pressure under my nail bed so I still cannot do things that require me putting any pressure on my thumb pad. I don't know what those activities are until I try to do them, so I do what I can. For example, I could use a sharp knife to slice up the meat yesterday, but I still need to use both hands to pick up a container of milk.

    ReplyDelete