Monday, January 21, 2019

Monday Morning With My Cable Company Again

It was another Monday morning on the phone  trying to sort out what I thought was already figured out once already.

So that you understand this problem, I pay for a plan that offers me 175 gigabytes a month. That is a LOT. Everyone that I have talked to cannot understand how I can use up all of that in a month and still need 50 more.  Especially since I only watch Netflix at night and my usage has remained exactly the same for the past two years. When my husband was alive, he would watch Netflix all day, while I might be watching You Tube videos in the next room. In October I wasn't using 25% of my allotment. Then something happened in November where I started using a crazy amount of bandwidth, except that I wasn't. They thought that maybe someone was stealing my signal and accused me of giving out my password. So I chose for them to come out to my house and set up wireless Wifi. Then I would be secure.

Last Tuesday, the 15th of the month, I called customer service to report that my online account was still showing as me owing the extra $100 for going over the bandwidth of my Wifi. I was concerned because they were supposed to remove that amount from my bank account in 2  days, and the money would not be there. She checked on-line and told me that no, the adjustment was made and my account was fine. In fact, there was no charge at all on my account.  Huh? I was still expecting my bill to be around $126. On Saturday, after spending all my cash on hand for grocery purchases and gas, I checked my  account to see if there was much left in there to buy more groceries if I needed, or to place an extra payment on my credit card. You guessed it. My checking account was dry. The whole amount plus the extra $100 was taken, and because the account did not have the full amount, the bank had to take it from my savings account. To rub salt in the wound, I was close to being extended over my bandwidth AGAIN. I only had 13 gigabytes left until the end of the month.

Hence the need to get back on the phone today. One of the technicians got testy with me. In trying to understand why my usage was coming up so high, he told me he couldn't tell me what I was doing to use up so much bandwidth....just that I was and that I should buy a bigger plan. He transferred me to my fourth department this morning  (the Sales dept.). So I am now paying $10 a month more for unlimited Wifi. (which is a whole lot better than $100 extra  a month). And of the 9 representatives I have spoken to in the last two weeks (three of them being technicians), this sales person asked me IF I could have inadvertently changed my Netflix settings to HIGH resolution during my many attempts to get decent reception in my house. She was the only person who tried to explain the problem. Tonight, when I turn on my TV, I will check that first. As far as my bill?? Well, apparently there is a credit in my account for $288.  I was only expecting $100 and the  tax, but I will take it.  I have a feeling this will not be the end of it.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Susan, how frustrating! I remember how happy you were, just over a week ago, when you got your WiFi updated. Well, unlimited data for just $10 more is better than $100 and getting overdrawn at the bank, etc. (((HUGS))) I hope the credit in the account helps and things turn out to be fine. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without a bill for February, I will be able to recuperate the money I lost this month. I don't know how they messed this up by giving me such a huge credit. Maybe they will figure out their mistake. I tried to tell them they were awarding me "too much", but I will wait to see how it all falls out. If I bring it up again, they may take more away from me. So I will remain quiet about it. It will offset some of the cost of having to buy unlimited Wifi. For the moment, I am happy again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very frustrating! It was great that you hung in there until you finally had someone that could help you. Paying the additional $10 per month is certainly better than paying the overage but how frustrating for the company not being able to figure out the reason in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still not sure I have a reason for the huge increase in usage (because my habits have not changed and I don't know yet HOW to check the resolution), but now that I have unlimited usage, I won't even think about it.

    ReplyDelete