Thursday, January 3, 2019

Small End-of-year Injury

On Sunday I was in Kingston to help my Amherst Island team serve Special Meals to our clients at St. Andrew's Church. I was lucky enough to obtain a ride in and back home with other ladies from  my team. Of course the dinner was a success and we served 49 clients sweet and sour meatballs, rice, peas, baby carrots and cole slaw salad. Clean up was quick and we got out in record time. I am still not sure how it happened, but when I exited the car, I managed to slam the thumb of my right hand in the car door. I was in shock and didn't let on what had happened. I got inside my house by keying the lock with my left hand, and then I thought I was going to be sick....the pain was that bad. My thumbnail was already black. I took two extra strength Tylenol Gel caps and drifted in and out of sleep that first night. I am fairly certain I did  not break any bone but the swelling has kept my right hand pretty immobile since. I have been sleeping a lot in the days since.

Yesterday was a pretty good day. I was able to put the  key in the ignition of my van with my left hand and turn it on and off with the fingers of my right hand, so I drove myself into Amerstview yesterday. It was a gorgeous sunny day. When I did my Boxing Week shopping (about which I blogged in my last post), I noticed that they made some mistakes on my receipt.  After I posted, I called the manager to explain what had happened. I was charged $11.05  too much, so yesterday was the first opportunity to get those mistakes corrected.  It pays to always check your receipts for errors. With the money I received back yesterday, I was able to pay for 2 containers of cottage cheese and two containers of whipping cream that were on sale 2 for $5, and still get back $1.05  I felt good about that because I am not able to accomplish  very much these past few days. I cannot yet take down the Christmas decorations or make cards. I cannot do needlework (knitting or embroidery), but today I've noticed that my thumbpad is not nearly as sensitive to touch, so I am able to use it on the space bar on the keypad. I cannot pick up a pen or a kitchen utensil, but I am now able to type. Maybe I will be able to get my 2019 goals written up sometime later today.

This accident has shown me just how important it is to take care of myself. An accident or a diagnosis of illness can change everything in an instant. I am so excited about 2019 and I am hopeful about the New Year ahead. I have lots of plans. They will just have to wait a few more days.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you hurt your hand, Susan. I once closed a car door on my hand and I remember how painful that was. Try to ice your thumb, if you can. That might help with the swelling. And rest your hand as much as you can. Yes, do take care of yourself. We can't do anything if we are injured or ill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am also very sorry I hurt my hand. *laugh* It has kind of slowed me down a bit. But it is getting better each day and I am able to do more and more. I may attempt to take down my indoor decorations today or something else from my To-Do list which I hope to publish later on today.

    ReplyDelete