Thursday, January 3, 2019

Goals For 2019

Last year my recording and accountability was abysmal; therefore, I hope to take an example from Bless at My Two Cents to record my successes AND failures at the end of each month. I did it for a short while last year but soon gave up. Looking over last year's goals for 2018, I did not do well at all. So this year I am not changing any of them, but will instead try harder. I did however, find that making a list on Mondays and following up on the week-end did help me for a while to focus more  on the task at hand.

Environment:
House- I wanted to do a little home maintenance last year, but was side-tracked when I considered selling the house as is, and therefore not sink any money into it. Well, now that I am considering staying in the house as long as I am able, I want to make the place comfortable for me. I will be fixing small jobs and doing some painting for MY benefit. I can see myself staying here for a few years. I do not have a lot of money to put into repairs anyway, so I will do what I can. I will feel a sense of accomplishment with what I can achieve. I will post monthly goals, but also list the things I'd like to accomplish week  by week in order to work on those goals.

Garden- I wanted to work my vegetable garden last year; but again, when I thought I might sell the house, I saw no purpose in growing vegetables if I wasn't going to benefit from all the work. So I worked on my flower beds to improve the curb appeal. I also got rid of a large flower bed and turned it back to lawn so I didn't have so much to look after. I transplanted those flowers into the other beds that are well established and also gave away other plants to family members, so as not to destroy them.  I made an arrangement with my friend to give him my husband's van for labour. He was heaven-sent to me. He tore down and replaced my front door entrance, new stairs, replaced my gate, took down the dead tree branches out back and directed me to rent a bin to get rid of a lot of stuff from the property. I only had a certain amount of money and he decided where it should be spent to get me the most value. This year I will definitely grow a vegetable garden.

Finances:
Spending: I continue to mark down food and non-food expenditures. Starting this month, I took out $300 for household expenses in cash. When it runs out, I will have to go into savings for more. I will not want to do that, thereby making me more aware of how much is at hand. It is too easy to use my debit card to "borrow" from a different category. It will be cash only for household variable expenses. I will continue to pay my bills on-line.

Saving- I am paying my Savings and my Emergency fund at the beginning of each month as though they are bills I pay on-line.  My found money is going into a piggy bank at home. This includes winnings from scratch tickets gifted to me and rebates for products I've bought. If I sell more card sets this year, it will also go here as "found" money. I DID make more of my gifts this past year...one of the few resolutions that I did succeed at.

Family and Friends:

This was another goal that was successful last year. I sent out a lot of cards and face-timed with family a lot. I made several long distance trips to visit with family members. I would like to continue with this success and build upon it.

Health:

I was also successful in staying true to my new way of eating a low carb diet. I do not cheat on this diet. It is very easy for me to follow, though more expensive.  I will try to expand my recipes this year so it does not become boring or more like a chore.  I will also look out for my personal care this year, by incorporating a home "spa" day into my week. I need to remember to wear sun screen, a hat  and moisturize my skin and hair.  A little makeup wouldn't hurt. I have a ton of beauty products. Why aren't I using them?

Crafts and Leisure:

I expanded my crafting this past year to include macrame and embroidery. It paid off by providing me with lots of gifts that I gave for birthdays and Christmas. I also sold some of my cards. Though it became  difficult to use a whole day to craft (especially during the summer), I will resolve to put in at least 6 hours of crafting a week.

It is another ambitious list of goals, but even with the accounting that was sorely lacking, I did manage to achieve some of what I wanted. Hopefully, it will be better this year.

2 comments:

  1. Those are excellent goals, Susan. It is good to have ambitious goals because they give us something for which to strive towards. :) I do find the monthly review to be helpful. I really like your savings goal of paying to your savings and emergency fund at the beginning of the month! That is what I do, too. I predetermine the amount I want to save (as a percentage of my income) and then, base the rest of my monthly budget on the remaining amount. It has worked out well for me all these years.

    I'm looking forward to seeing how well you do this year; I just know it will be a good year for us all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also optimistic about this year....more so than I have felt about other years. Even with the lack of accounting last year, I was able to make some of the changes I was hoping for. I realize though that the reporting is key to accountability.

    ReplyDelete