Wednesday, February 5, 2020

An Emotional Time

The day I started back on my blog, on February first, was three years since my Rick passed away. Three years. I can scarcely believe it. It doesn't seem that long, but it also feels like a whole lifetime ago. So much has happened in that time. I mentioned a few days ago that "Dee" asked my sister and I to accompany her and my dad to a consultation with a surgeon about putting in a feeding tube for my father. (He isn't eating). The appointment had been scheduled for 4:30 this afternoon, so when I phoned yesterday to make an appointment to have my eyebrows waxed, I took one for 12 o'clock noon. Then later in the day, the hospital phoned to have the medical appointment moved up to 10:45 this morning. I had to call the salon to reschedule the waxing appointment until tomorrow. My sister picked me up at 9:45 this morning  and off we went. We were in the hospital for several hours waiting before we could sit down with the surgeon to ask questions.

After "Dee" got my dad settled at home, we drove back into town while my sister stayed with my Dad. It was my sister's intention to let "Dee" and myself have lunch and private conversation. Instead, we ran a few errands. "Dee" does not like to stay away from my Dad for very long. He is very frail.

I got back to my place in time to make another appointment. I had arranged to have John from Alternative Funeral Services come here around 4 PM to pick up a cheque from me and then I could sign the final papers to register my account. I have prepaid my cremation costs. I decided to do this just after I arrived here and before Christmas, and now it was important to pay up. The money is locked into an account and no matter how much costs MAY go up, my cremation costs are guaranteed. I don't want my children to go through that, so I am looking after it myself. Not a conversation, or a blog post, that make people comfortable.....but that was my day. It was kind of emotional and especially draining, and I feel I could go to bed now and sleep for days, except for the fact that I have rescheduled my eyebrows for tomorrow. Later this week, I will try to take some photos of my new place. At least that way, I will be forced to tidy up a little bit. Ha!

2 comments:

  1. (((HUGS))) Susan. What an emotionally difficult time this must be for you. Has it really been 3 years since your Rick passed away? It's going to be 14 years since my mother passed away and while I know that is a long time, it still feels like it happened just last week.

    I'm so sorry, too, to hear about your father's health. These sorts of health-related decisions are never easy, are they? And good of you to make your own arrangements so that your children don't have to worry about them.

    I can't imagine having my eyebrows waxed! Ouch!

    Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your new place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have very bushy eyebrows. I've been told that waxing my brows makes them grow back in sparser. Doesn't work for me. I cannot tweeze my eyebrows myself. It hurts too much and I'm just a big baby. I tried having them threaded, but that is just multiple "plucks", so I much prefer having them all taken out with one pull.

    ReplyDelete