Sunday, February 2, 2020

My Goals for 2020

Despite all the changes that happened last year, I was actually very pleased with how 2019 was shaping up. I learned better accountability by listing the week's objectives in my Daybook Monday and followed up with a weekend recap. It was working up until all of my goals quickly changed. By that time, my priorities were such that I made daily lists, as well as weekly lists. I wasn't shy about asking for help. Looking over what I set out to accomplish last year, I think I will continue on that same path.

Environment:
House:

This house is over 20 years old, which is  very new to me. My last house was almost 200 years old and needed a lot of work. There are things I want to do to update of course, but nothing is really pressing. The roof is new, so the shingles will easily last 10-15 years. The basement is poured concrete, which I love. The furnace and central air is only four years old and I had an inspection done at the beginning of winter. Overall, the place is in good physical shape. The previous owner was a smoker, so I want to wash the walls and ceilings with TSP and prime with an oil-based blocker.  Both products I have already bought. There are lots of holes in the walls where "things" were removed but not patched up afterwards. Some of the holes were big enough that I needed to apply drywall tape and plaster. Those I still need to sand and reapply the mud for a second time at least. Last week "Dee" helped me replace the cartridges in my kitchen faucets so no more dripping. She also helped me remove and install a new bathroom exhaust fan. I had to replace the dishwasher already. I used a special government incentive grant to get a deal on a brand new washer and my BIL installed it for me. He is a retired plumber. So besides the few maintenance jobs I have mentioned, my main goal is to replace the flooring in the rec room. I also need to develop a weekly cleaning routine.

Garden:

I want to plant both a vegetable garden and new flower beds at the side of the property. It looks as though the veggie garden has not been maintained in years, and there are NO flower plantings next to the foundation.

Finances:

Spending
I have spent a LOT of money since making the decision to move. Moving house does not come cheaply, nor is it for the feint of heart. But I am at the point where I have most of what I need. I have bought from both brand-new and from second-hand (yard sales and thrift shops). Anything I buy from now on will be a "want", not a need. I will make a wish list  to post on the fridge and try to beg or borrow from someone else, or wait until I see it at a yard sale this summer.

Saving
I just want to salt away as much as I can. I need to build up my savings again. My expenses here are not as much, so I should be able to put away more.

Family and Friends

I have close ties with my family, but need to make more of a concerted effort to maintain my friendships. I will be planning many more trips to visit during the good weather. I am still sending out many greeting cards and HAPPY mail.

Health

I have a doctor here, which is the good news. I have had two appointments already, but I have only met him once. The first time, I was seen by a resident. There is also a nurse practitioner that works out of his office. It takes more than a month to get an appointment, so I have to be aware of that when I need to have my blood work done. I am still on keto, and now I have my sister joining me. I thank my lucky stars that I am still in good health. I still have to work on my day-to-day self maintenance and beauty regime. That never took off.

Crafts and Leisure

I have already joined a card-making and scrap booking group here in town, and loving it. The women are a great bunch of like-minded individuals who are passionate about their craft. I have a much bigger crafting space downstairs that I am still trying to sort through and organise. Because it used to be a workshop, I have lots of shelving, a pegboard, working tables and benches, everything I could want. My sister has become addicted as well, so we can spend hours in silence down there busily creating. I have found my bliss. Although I did not have enough time to craft my Christmas gifts this past year, I was able to make a couple of macrame plant hangers, one embroidered towel,  and some boxed cards as gifts for some. I will certainly do better this coming year.
I also plan to join the Elliot Lake Horticultural Club this month. Gardeners are usually very keen to share their perennials when it is time to "split" then up. And,  I should be able to glean a lot of information about my new growing zone I have moved into, and what kind of plants will do well in this temperate climate.

That is a small novel. I didn't mean to talk so much, but I felt I needed to catch you up on my situation. Tomorrow, I will set up a list of tasks for the coming week in my Daybook.

2 comments:

  1. Those are all excellent goals! It really sounds like you have settled into your new environment very nicely, Susan, and you sound happy. Not half so worried and stressed about finances, house repairs, and so forth. I am so happy for you. Hope all is well with your family and 2020 will be a very good year for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bless. I appreciate that. My main objective this year is to watch my finances and build up some savings. I would like to be able to travel some more while I am able.

    ReplyDelete