Saturday, February 1, 2020

Life Changes

I have been wanting to start blogging again for quite some time. Today, on February 1st, I have made up my mind that the best way to start is to dive right in, head first. I left the blogging world quite suddenly and unexpectedly in the Spring. I drove to Smiths Falls to see my brother and sister-in-law over the Easter weekend, both to enjoy the holiday weekend with family and to have my income tax prepared by my brother. That was the turning point.  I realised that weekend that I could no longer afford to maintain the old house. My kids had expressed some concern about my staying there alone, but I was sure  I could handle it, until my brother pointed out otherwise. I went home after that weekend and got busy. With the help of family and friends I threw out, sold, gave away, or left behind so many of my possessions. I called in three real estate agents and interviewed them. I decided on the one who seemed to love my house as much as I did, and by the time I was ready to fly out to Vancouver to visit my eldest son's family the first two weeks in July (the ticket was bought months before), the house went on the market. Fortunately, it sold immediately. When I returned, all that was left to do was to pack up what was left into a Rent-a-Truck and move up North to Elliot Lake.

I stayed with my sister and her husband while I looked for a place to live. I had no idea whether to rent an apartment, buy a condo, or what I wanted. Eventually, I decided and gave my new real estate agent some guidelines to look for me. It might sound impossible, but he was able to deliver. In the end I decided to buy again. I wanted a bungalow. This month I will be turning 70, so I figure that perhaps in 10 years time, I may not be able to climb stairs anymore. I wanted 3 bedrooms because I expect to have company come to stay with me. I wanted a basement to act as my crafting space. It didn't have to be finished. And I wanted everything for less than $100,000. I absolutely LOVE my new space. I have gas heating and central air. I did take the unfinished part of the full basement (the laundry and workshop area) for my crafting area, but I have a very large finished rec room with a gas fireplace for entertaining. I have a second bathroom down there as well, and TONS of storage cupboards. My back and side yards are completely fenced in with a two layer deck out back, large shed, and a veggie garden. There is no flower garden, but hey.....I have a blank slate with which to design my landscaping.  My space is a side-by-side duplex, which I share with a lovely quiet couple. I have already had company stay with me this past Fall, and I am looking forward to entertaining more this coming summer. Did I mention how much I love my new house?

I NEED to get back to blogging as it was my means of sticking to a budget and staying accountable. Since moving into this house mid-September, I have spent a boatload of money. Because today is the first of the month, I sat down this morning to finally figure out my new budget. I am only now getting the monthly figures for my utilities. In the beginning, there were a lot of one-time extra decommission costs associated with my old address in Odessa and new installations costs for setting up at the new place. I only got my first water bill for this address yesterday. I am paying my mortgage costs and property taxes every two weeks. So with this information, I am finally able to make a spending plan. Tomorrow I will share my goals for the next month. It is good to be back.




5 comments:

  1. Susan! Welcome back! It is so good to see you posting again. A 3-bedroom house with basement for $100,000? Wow! That's incredible! I hope you will post some pictures when you can. I wish you the best with the budgeting. I'm sure you will be able to make things balance out, nicely. Looking forward to reading all your new posts as you move on with this new chapter of your life. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bless. Yes, I am very happy with my find. I was blessed with two of the greatest home agents I could find. It will be a fun adventure to make the little changes I want to this place. I also want to include photos in my blog posts, but that is still a work in progress. I have spent time already in trying to figure that out. I have a new cell phone, so I have to figure out HOW to get the pictures moved to the blog on my laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back!!! So glad to see you here again! Wishing you the best on your new adventures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Diana. It feels good to be back. A lot has happened in my life during the past year and I am also looking forward to the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw on another blog, in the comments, that you were blogging again so I came over to read and get caught up.
    I always enjoy reading your posts.

    Debra

    ReplyDelete