Wednesday, February 19, 2020

My Sister's Birthday

We are going over to my Dad's house again for dinner. "Dee" is roasting a turkey dinner for us and making a keto dessert for the birthday dinner. My sister is contributing a cauliflower dish and I will make the keto gravy. I made my sister a birthday card yesterday. I took a photo but won't show it until tomorrow, after she has received it.

Today I picked up my sister in the van and drove over to No-Frills, after baking another keto loaf of bread.  I didn't think I would need to pick up groceries this week, but I really did need to buy coffee (which I forgot about last week) and more eggs for the week. But unfortunately, I did not just stick to my list. I picked up a few specials and things I thought I needed.
 Veggies (fresh and frozen) for $17.80 and bacon for $3.  I bought 10 lbs of rutabaga for $5.94. Later,  I will peel, dice, cook, mash, and freeze in portions. I bought 2 bags of oriental mix, red onion, more cabbage and a bag of riced cauliflower. That was a splurge at $3.97
Dairy cost $13.45  The smaller containers cost less than the usual large containers I buy, AND the cottage cheese has also gone up in price. I really notice the price increases now on the products I am always buying. 

Pantry items cost me $24.21  Folgers coffee was the cheapest ground coffee to buy this week at $7.97
My 30 coffee pods that I buy for company cost $11.97  The baking soda was $1 and no name baking powder was $3.27  I spent a total of $58.45 incl. taxes on groceries this week, which leaves me a total of $15 for the rest of the month. Of course I can go over if I need to, but I will try not to. That is the whole idea of trying to live on a budget. At the end of the month, I will give a clearer picture of my spending, what I learned and how to do better.

When I returned home, I made a tuna salad sandwich with my freshly baked loaf and my keto mayonnaise that I order through Amazon. I also had a side of cottage cheese. I cleared more snow from the top of my driveway so I can drive up further. We were going to travel to the Sault today, but that has been postponed until tomorrow, as more snow was predicted. Tomorrow is MY turn to have a birthday. I will be turning 70...seven...zero. I've been spoiled all week with lots of cards and gifts coming in the mail. I'll be meeting a friend for tea in the morning and then we will leave in the afternoon for an overnight stay in Sault Ste Marie. Have a great evening and I may or may not be posting tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. Hope you have a wonderful birthday and no snow shoveling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. My birthday plans today do not include snow removal, haha. I am meeting a friend this morning, then leaving for the Sault, which has now turned into a 2 night stay. I see shopping in the big city in my immediate future.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday for tomorrow! Enjoy your special day and have a wonderful time with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the birthday wishes Bless. I am certainly looking forward to the next few days. I will do my best to stretch out the celebrations well into the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday!!! So glad you will be enjoying with a celebration in the city!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Diana. It has been a very nice birthday.

    ReplyDelete