Thursday, February 13, 2020

Deep Cleaning

I finally took the plunge this morning and started emptying the cupboards in the eating area of the kitchen. My plan was to wash all of them down, including the inside of the cupboard doors and the top of the unit. I didn't make it....but I got started. I ended up doing half of them. By then it was noon, the water had cooled right down, and my right glove had developed a pinhole somewhere which allowed the cold dirty water to touch my skin. Ewww! I could have filled my bucket again with clean hot water, but I figured I had spent enough time cleaning. It can wait until tomorrow. I used my homemade cleaning solution and sprayed it under the shelves, the sides and back of the unit, as well as the shelves themselves. I like using my cleaning solution (vinegar, Dawn, washing soda) as it really loosens up all the dirt.
My clean and organised shelves.  The tall one to the left holds cleaning and laundry supplies as it is next to the stackable washer and dryer and serves as my broom closet.

I took my compost out to the back yard to empty it into the garden composter. I shook out my hallway mat to rid some of the road salt that was brought inside, and then because I was dressed for outside, I decided to go for my mail.
 I took this photo from my driveway. Those brown boxes at the end of the sidewalk are the mailboxes. I literally have to walk to the next driveway to pick up my mail. Notice that we have a little bit of snow. At the end of the day yesterday, the city crew was out cutting back the snowbanks from the road. They don't take snow from the top of the banks.....just from the side to widen the roadway.
It was a gorgeous day today with sun and blue skies. The temperature was a little nippy, but not bad.
Today, the crew came back to cut back the banks on the other side of the street.


This afternoon I decided to take all those lengths of cotton macrame cord that I had already cut up a couple of weeks ago, and started another plant hanger. It is working with my hands and creating something both useful and pretty, and it goes very quickly. I decided to wait and work on my mini scrap books when my sister is here crafting, so we can spend time together making paper crafts. 
I will probably finish it up tonight after supper, which is warmed up leftover chili.
Have a great evening.

6 comments:

  1. Oh that is some serious snow. It was in the 70's here yesterday but is much cooler today. But No Snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do have our snow up here, but also lots of sunny bright days. It gives the road crews something to do during the winter. Ha! Plowing roads, sidewalks, and removing snow is a huge job.

      Delete
  2. You did well to get started and getting half the cabinets done. Look at all those sparkling clean and well organized shelves!

    And, wow! So much snow! It looks lovely - and cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to have finally completed those shelves. Tomorrow I will tackle the top and the little spice cabinet shelves. Next week will be the bottom cupboards and drawers. I would like it all finished by the end of this month.

      Delete
  3. Your cabinets look so organized! Great job!!

    I have never seen snow piled so high before!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I like that the cabinets have finally been cleaned since it wasn't done when I moved in here. Having them organized?....well, that is a bonus.

    ReplyDelete