Tuesday, February 4, 2020

First Grocery Shop in February

Lately I have found that by the time I start getting ready for bed, I am too tired to do much more than fall into bed. Last night I decided to prepare myself around 8:30 in the evening. After a nice soak in the bath tub, I put moisturiser on after I towelled off, and then applied a night cream to my face. Then I was able to relax on the computer before feeling tired enough to go to bed. I am hoping I can keep this up for a while.

I left the house early this morning (after I put the garbage can out at the end of the driveway) and went to the bank first to withdraw my $360 for the month. This is $300 for household expenses and $60 for gas. This is what I used to budget with and hopefully I can continue with these amounts. Here are my grocery purchases.

 Dairy cost $31.14  Whole milk is $5.37, no-name cottage cheese is always $3.97 each, yoghurt was on sale at $1.97 each, cream cheese cost only $2 each and I paid $2.64 for each of 3 doz. large eggs.
 Lean ground beef was on sale, so I grabbed two large trays for $22.78  My brother gave me a food saver for Christmas, so this afternoon I will freeze this meat in one pound packages. I still have pork, beef roasts and chicken legs in the refrigerator freezer. I sold my chest freezer before I moved.
Produce (both fresh and frozen) cost $21.18  I bought 2 bags of avocados (6 count) at only $1.87 each. What a great price! The cauliflower cost $2.97 a head. The rest is frozen, but the offerings were meagre. My No-Frills store does not offer winter vegetables any more (broccoli and cauliflower mix). They were completely sold out of No-name oriental mix and there was only one remaining package of California mix. The frozen spinach has jumped in price from 97 cents to $1.47. Wow! I like to add frozen spinach to my omelets in the morning. Fortunately I still have a head of cabbage, some mushrooms,  and 2 zucchini in the crisper, canned asparagas, and frozen cauliflower and brussel sprouts for this week. I grabbed the second last bag of blueberries from the freezer. I will have to make a note not to shop on a Tuesday morning from now on.
 I didn't need TP this week, but it was on sale for $3.77, so I took advantage.
My almond flour that arrived yesterday is part of my grocery budget. I didn't take a photo but it (and some replacement blades for my paper slicer) came to a total of $44.74  So far I have spent $124.38 (incl. taxes) from my February household budget of $300, leaving me $175.62 for the month.
I also went to the drug store to pick up my two prescriptions (no charge there) and there are no costs here for buying garbage tags....yet.

Before returning home, I dropped in on my Dad and "Dee" for a cup of tea and a wee visit. I was gifted with a "new-to-me" black billfold and a treat container with a music box inside. I'm so spoiled.
I came home to take photos and put away the groceries, made a loaf of keto bread and warmed up some keto chili for lunch. I will phone some places this afternoon to make some appointments for me. I don't feel like cleaning, so may just write out some notecards for the mail.
My keto bread uses 1 1/2 cups of almond flour and SIX eggs. I try not to make it too often because I usually devour this whole thing in about two days. But it tastes so darn good.  

It is a beautiful bright and sunny winter's day here in Elliot Lake. I hope you are all enjoying a wonderful afternoon. 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you got a couple of good bargains, there, Susan. Over here, the weekly sales are from Wednesday to Tuesday. So, by Tuesday, most of the advertised specials are sold out. But, at least one store offers Tuesday specials just to get you to come to the store on that day! Maybe the stores in your area also have these weekly sales cycles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the stores do have sales cycles AND I should have known better. But I procrastinated. I should have gone out on Sunday after I removed all the snow from the driveway, but I don't like shopping on the weekend. This morning it wasn't busy at all, but some of the freezer shelves were cleared. Fortunately, I do have enough vegetables to get through this week and into the next, but then I will need to stock up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stores here are generally out of sale items by Tuesday, at least the stores near me are. I try to shop on Wednesday right before lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going shopping at the beginning of a sales cycle is the best idea, but the time of day is important as well. "Right before lunch" would also be a good idea for timing.

    ReplyDelete