Friday, February 7, 2020

Main Living Area

There were things that had to get done today, so that is how I started my day. For Christmas, from my brother and his family, I received a vacuum sealer.  I brought that out onto the counter to package up the ground beef I bought this week. Since I cooked some up for dinner last night, I made up seven packages for the freezer with what was remaining. I also chopped up most of a cabbage and sauteed it in butter. I cut up the fresh cauliflower into florets, and  divided it up into two freezer packages. And while my sister came over for a little while to work downstairs, I stayed upstairs to get these things finished.

I have taken some photos to show you the dining room, kitchen and living room.

 I did not bring any of my dining furniture with me. I had decided to leave it for the buyers of my old house when their agent told me that they were just starting out and would appreciate my leaving anything for them (instead of tossing it out or giving it away). I had already had 5 yard sales by this point and had taken van loads of stuff to the Thrift store, so I did decide to leave the dining furniture and all of my everyday dishes. My thinking was that I could buy what I needed from the Thrift Store here. Well my sister bought me my dishes and glassware as a housewarming gift. You can see the pattern hanging on the wall there. She also gave me the table and chairs seen here from her basement. "Dee" found this stunning china cabinet for me in a private sale for only $75.
To the left of the dining table is the hallway down to the bedrooms. To my immediate left is the doorway to the kitchen, which you are unable to see from this photo. The first door on the left off the hallway is the door to downstairs. I brought very little furniture with me, but I made sure to bring most of my crafts, pictures, and sentimental decoration. It is a very good thing that I was ruthless, because I still ended up with a lot.
 Now, when I spin around 180 degrees, we are now looking at the living area at the front of the house. That is my red leather couch, my round table and my wing chair you might recognise from the old house. My coffee table was too big for the space, so "Dee" gave me a glass top table that fits much better.The lamps were bought at a second hand store. I bought the table lamp first. When I saw the floor lamp, I had to get it because they look like they could be a matched set. They are not.
 Across from the couch is an entertainment unit I bought for $50 to hold my TV, CDs and DVDs, some books, games, extra serve ware for the dining room, and other miscellaneous pieces hidden away. I brought with me the green leather chair in the corner, the wooden chair, the area carpet. It seems strange to me now that I brought all manner of decoration, but hardly any furniture. I guess that is because the decoration has meaning for me, whereas I didn't have any idea what kind of place I would be living in. Will my furniture fit the new rooms? Will it fit in the moving truck? Can I buy it cheaply once I find a place?
Now, if I turn 90 degrees to the right, you will see the doorway into the kitchen . The door straight ahead is the side door from the driveway.
 Walk through the doorway and to your right is the eating area of the kitchen. I do not have a table and chairs in here yet. I kind of like the open space right now. I bought a little DIY kitchen cart on wheels where I have set up my coffee station. The shelves underneath hold baskets of stuff. There is also one very narrow drawer (much needed) Look at all the great cupboards against the wall. They hold appliances, paper goods, cleaning supplies and a food pantry.
All those tall cupboards and this stackable laundry unit fill the back wall. There is a large kitchen window here and shelves to hold boots, shoes, and my kitchen compost pail. Those yellow bags hold salt. You cannot run out of salt up north. Very crucial.
 Turn to the left of the side door and you will see the small galley kitchen. There aren't many cupboards, so you understand why I love my wall-to-wall storage in the eating area. That funny little cupboard door that is facing you is a spice cupboard. I love that. There is another kitchen window above the sink. At the end of the counter space is my brand new dishwasher.

 Across from the sink is the stove and fridge and tiny little drawers. That appliance next to the teeny tiny drawers is a useless defunct garbage compactor. The drawers and compactor will be soon replaced by a 30 inch base cabinet (with bigger drawers, hopefully) Right now the top of that counter has a micro wave oven on it (which was one of the first things I bought when I moved in) The kitchen is NOT the best feature of this house, but you will remember that my last kitchen was tiny and there was NO eating area in it. Straight ahead is the front door.
I do like this wall beside my fridge though. It has my calendar and a white board and acts like my message centre. There is even a place to tuck my kitchen step ladder.
So as you enter the front door, there is a lovely big hallway closet to the left that also holds my two recycling bins. Straight ahead is the kitchen and to the right is the living area. That is the tour of my new living space. Next week I may show you the downstairs. Remember I have two floors of space?

Tomorrow is card-making group from 1-4. Then afterwards, we will go to Dad and "Dee's" house to play TV Bingo and order in some Swiss Chalet. I may not be back on the blog until Sunday. Have a great weekend everyone.

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely home, Susan! I love how bright and uncluttered it looks! I think you made the right decision to leave behind most of your furniture and bring the more sentimental decorations with you! You've been able to find some great bargains, like the new china cabinet and the dresser in your bedroom.

    I love that table runner on your dining table. It looks a bit like a brocade section of a sari! You are giving me ideas! I have a red sari with panels of gold brocade...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bless. I like it too. Considering the fact that it is a side-by-side duplex (and therefore no windows along one side), it is incredibly bright and sunny inside. I also love my find of the entertainment unit. It holds my TV, but also all those things that need a home that you want to hide away. It acted as my "mantle" at Christmas to hold boughs and lights and such. By the way, most of the clutter is still here. It is downstairs right now. Ha!

    The runner was a souvenir from my trip to Egypt and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice new home you have. You've fixed it up very nicely and it seems your very happy there.
    Congratulations on your new home.

    Debra

    ReplyDelete