Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Back Home

I realized last night as I was drifting off to sleep that I probably did everyone a disservice by not writing yesterday. I hope you realize that if my husband had NOT been discharged, I would surely have been on here writing another rant. As it turned out, nothing more was accomplished than the night before, except that he had a quiet night in the hospital and I didn't have to go driving in the dark and rain to pick him up. He still has the CV catheter in his neck and there are no changes to his at-home medications. He took his last antibiotic in the morning, and he has an appointment in the Transplant Clinic on Monday. When I got him home, he went straight up to our room and went to bed. 
 
 To tell you the truth, I was lost. I wandered aimlessly around the house trying to find my way. The last twelve days, my days had been mapped out for me. Suddenly I needed to find my bearings again. There is a lot that needs doing, heaven knows, but I felt as though the floor had given way from beneath me. Anyways, I did my usual "make iced tea, unload the dishwasher and load it up, clean the downstairs litter box", and then I looked at my October Goals. The Advent Calendars stood out as the most important goal to start, so that is what I tackled.

On top you will see in the photo, some of the items I have already procured for one of my grandchildren. As you know, some things are easily wrapped, while others need some form of packaging. I always use the internet to find free printable box templates and print them on the backs of printed card stock like you see below. I cut them out, fold on the dotted lines, and use a strong adhesive tape to assemble them. You will notice that some of the packaging is very big (much too large to fit into a tiny pocket) You can find lots tiny things for teenagers, but it is harder for smaller children, so their Advent calendar gifts go into a bag. They can pull one gift from the bag every day until Christmas. The gifts for the older kids go into a printed photo box that they can use for storing things afterwards. Whether or not they put the gifts into their calendar pockets, I don't know.
Free printable templates

As each gift is wrapped, I write down what it is on a page under their name that I keep in a notebook. This also provides me of a history from past years of my ideas for gifts. I can keep count of the number of things I have got already and what I need to get to complete their calendar. I only give three candy gifts among the 24 wrapped gifts. So this is what I did yesterday. I also made a big pot of chicken and vegetable soup with broth from the freezer, onions, leftover peas from another night, and tomatoes, beans, and carrots from the garden. When my hubby came downstairs in the afternoon, he had a bowl of this....his first meal of the day. He wasn't served breakfast in the morning (because he had been discharged the night before) Can you believe it? I put a pot roast and home grown veggies in the crock pot for dinner last night. It tasted exceptionally good. 

Right now I have laundry to fold, and two casserole dishes soaking in the sink. I have already washed a dishwasher load since last night. The dog is going to need more biscuits soon, but I will get back to wrapping the kids' Advent gifts. Bye bye for now.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your husband is home (that's crazy that they wouldn't give him breakfast!) and you are able to work on the Advent gifts. Take it easy and give yourself some time to recover from the stress of the past few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I have been taking it easy. There is nothing more relaxing than crafting..... for me. Although making boxes and gift bags isn't using any creativity, it does involve paper, scissors and tape, so I am good. I did go out for some fresh air in the afternoon by mowing the lawns.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad that your Sweetie is home and seems to be doing well. I think the lack of breakfast was due to the fact that since they "discharged" him at night, he didn't show up as a count when the Food Services department sent up the breakfast for the patients of the service where he was. The night crew should have foreseen that problem and added him back in, but few people usually think of things like that, I think. Still, it should have been fairly easy for the morning crew to call the Food Services people and request an additional breakfast be sent up!

    Look at you being so productive with your Advent calendars. Your grandchildren are very lucky to have you as a grandmother, I wonder if they realize it. I really don't know anyone else who does what you do!

    I was thinking last night that I should look at my list of goals that I had made for 2016 to try to actually accomplish some of them by the end of the year, but then I saw "Nah, I'll just get depressed and not want to do anything at all!". But I ought to peek at it. I know I haven't done any of the financial stuff I said I was going to do like get an accountant, etc. Arrgh. Sometimes I wish I were still a child and another adult would be in charge of doing all that stuff for me. Or that I had a secretary or personal assistant. I'm supposed to be that for Greg and this year I've done a crappy job of it. Oh well :) Gotta go cuddle with my kittens that just woke up from a very long nap now. Ta ta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone like you who is nap support and main kitten cuddler in your family, hardly has time for tedious financial goals. Ha. Do what I do. Don't make any New Year's Goals and you won't be disappointed. On the other hand, if you were to find an accountant, most of your finance goals would be taken care of in one fell swoop.

      My Sweetie is glad to be home, but it will take time to recuperate fully. He is still so very weak.

      Delete