Thursday, October 20, 2016

Working in the Kitchen

Some days, like rainy October days, are just right for working in the kitchen. I didn't plan my day to start this way; but sometimes, the day just dictates to you what it is going to look like. My first thought, after unloading the dishwasher and making my pot of tea, was that I should really bake some dog biscuits since we have run out. I wanted to get the oven turned off by 11 AM, which is still our high peak rate until the end of this month. While those were baking, I decided to pull out a pound of bacon and crisp fry that for the freezer. I like to have some cooked bacon on hand to use in recipes that call for just a few slices. And I can't cook bacon without my Sweetie wanting some. He made himself a toasted tomato and bacon sandwich. There are two cups of dried black beans simmering in the crock pot with five cups of water. After supper tonight, I will rinse those and spoon into smaller freezer containers.

By 11 AM the bacon was done as was the oven where the dog biscuits were still drying out inside. I checked my green tomatoes. I washed the ones that are already ripened, removed the core and put some into a medium sized freezer bag. There are still a few for fresh eating. My peppers don't look like they will turn red, so I seeded and sliced them all up. I have a nearly full medium sized freezer bag, which you can see in the photo on top. I warmed up a bowl of my chicken vegetable soup for lunch.

Yesterday I made some more packaging and wrapped a few more gifts for the Advent calendars. I have run out of scotch tape, so the rest of the wrapping can wait. I got four Hallowe'en cards mailed out to the grandchildren in Vancouver, but I still need to make some more for the children here in Ontario. Two are grandchildren, but the others are nephews of mine. Since I knew the rain was coming today, I went out and mowed the front lawn and most of the backyard. I would love to trim the lawns and pull weeds from my garden beds, but I am running out of time and good weather. It may have to wait until Spring.

4 comments:

  1. I feel like such a slacker compared to you! So far today I have driven down to my BFF's to keep her company while she was having new tires put on her car and I bought her breakfast at a local gas station. It is 1 p.m. and that's pretty much ALL I have done. I might watch some episodes of Law & Order this afternoon because Greg is working from home so how I am to get anything done, Greg, with you underfoot?!

    Can't I hire you to take care of Christmas for me too?!

    I really should go bake that pumpkin pie that I have been trying to bake for a week (well, not trying very hard, but thinking about baking) but now a kitten just settled himself on my chest and is purring so...zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

    I hope your Sweetie regains his strength soon. He needs to eat lots of bacon sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not going to tell him that you said that. He doesn't need any more bacon. Ha. I made him some nice homemade soup with lots of veggies. That should do him.

      Visiting with your BFF is a GOOD thing. You need that socializing. You should consider that as one of your goals.....to stay in touch with friends.

      Did you make that pumpkin pie yet?

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a lovely way to spend a rainy day, Susan, although you are making me want some bacon! Glad to hear your Sweetie was well enough to make himself a sandwich. I'm sure your grandchildren and nephews will enjoy receiving their Halloween cards from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it took me all afternoon, but I finished making six cards to mail off tomorrow. I will show photos tomorrow.
      Yes, my Sweetie is trying to get around. He drives to his friend's for coffee in the morning. He goes to the store for bread or milk. He goes to the post office for the mail. But he does need to take the occasional nap in between errands. It is going to take more time than he thinks it should.

      Delete