Friday, October 7, 2016

Isolation

Isolation Protocol

 Yesterday morning, I called the ambulance for my Sweetie Pie. He had a terrible night with shortness of breath and teeth chattering chills, and that horrible cough that he has had for over a month. I got up and dressed at 6 AM to take him to Emergency in Kingston, but he surprised me by announcing he wanted an ambulance. That is so unlike him, that I gladly complied. With my son and his GF up and sitting with my husband, I proceeded to gather his medications and his health card together and went outside to wait for them. I flagged them as soon as I saw them, so they would know which house they were looking for. They put him on an oxygen mask immediately, after taking his health card, and took the bag of medications on the stretcher. It was almost like I had done this before. Ha. 

By the time I walked into Emergency, he was admitted to a room inside, but I hadn't missed anything. They took him to X-ray and took  blood samples one hour apart. Then they announced an isolation protocol. Everyone entering his cubicle had to don a fresh gown, mask, eye shield (if not wearing glasses) and rubber gloves. So this was ME for the 10+ hours I was there yesterday. If I left the room to use the washroom or ask a question at the nurse's desk, I had to dispose of everything upon leaving the cubicle and put everything clean back on upon entering. It was a terribly lo-o-ong day. I appreciated when my son and GF came mid-day. The doctors'  first course of action was to try and take fluid off him by giving him diuretics. (He already takes one every day), but after several hours, it was obvious that wasn't really working. Their initial reaction was too much fluid in his lungs. So last night before I left, they decided they would treat it aggressively as an infection and treat with antibiotics and more steroids. Internal medicine is in charge, but they are keeping the renal transplant unit in the loop. They admitted him but had no bed for him, so they moved him to a quieter area in Emerg. still under isolation protocol. He spent the night there, while I came home to phone my son out West and my Daughter in Bradford to update them. Of course I had nothing further to report and still don't; but, he just called me at 8:50 to say that they had moved him to a room. I will pack up the items he has asked for. Yes, he sounded so much better this morning. They started the first round of antibiotics last night and were already taking blood to "grow cultures", So we are pretty sure he will spend Thanksgiving weekend in hospital. 

I spent $50.00 yesterday on gas for the van. This will come from gas money, but I paid from my household budget first and will reimburse it. I bought 2 sandwiches, one choco chip cookie and two milk for $20.63  Can you believe that? I had my first bite of my sandwich 24 hours after I last ate. They hadn't fed my husband all day, so I left the sandwich, cookie and chocolate milk with him last night. He still wasn't up to eating. When I went to pay for my parking voucher when I left last night, the machine asked for $18.00  I thought there was a parking ceiling on the price, but evidently not. The machine would only take cash or credit card. I brought no cash with me, so I tried my Master card, which the reader was refusing to read. A lovely woman was leaving (she already paid for her parking) and she tried to help. So she ended up paying for my parking ticket with her credit card. I objected. I tried to find out from her how to pay her back. She just smiled and walked away. That was the first time I cried yesterday. Everything just poured out. She must have know by the $18 that I had been there a long, long time. I was so very grateful. I will bring cash with me from now on. Maybe I will run into her again, or maybe I can pay it forward. 

Sorry this was so long. If you are still following along, I have to go now and pack up some things for my Sweetie and get going. I am bringing my Blackberry with me so I can read emails and blogs today. But I won't have video chat. Bye for now.






2 comments:

  1. Oh Susan, I saw your post this morning but when I clicked on it there was only the picture and then that marked the post as "read" and it didn't occur to me to come back to it until now (3:30 p.m.).

    I hope you're both OK. How nice of that lady to pay for your parking. There are nice people in the world (yes, I said that, me the woman who hates most people!). $18 for parking at a hospital is ridiculous, but I read another Canadian blog where the family members have serious health issues and routinely spend at least $20 in parking for one visit (and they have several during the week) so I'm not entirely surprised. Still, it's ridiculous. Could a friend drop you off and come back to get you when you're ready to come home?

    I sure hope they were able to keep the edema under control today. Any news from the tests?

    Big HUGS to both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I am so sorry to hear your husband needed to be hospitalized, but glad he's doing better. Hope he continues to improve and will be well enough to come home soon. So glad that someone was able to help you with the parking payment. Yes, carry cash with you at all times and pay it forward when you can. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete